Review by FFM

"Tony hawk 4 keeps the legacy alive"

I've been a fan of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series since it first was released for the Sony Playstation and Sega Dreamcast. Those were the days. Before you could really link up combo's and use the revert. Now though. It's a whole new ball game. The series really took a turn for the good when THPS3 was released last November. Now it's time for one of the most successful gaming franchises in the world to have a go at it again. I will be grading on the usual. Graphics, Game-play ,Sound/Music, and replay/Multi-player

Graphics=9
-----------
Not much of an improvement from Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. The water textures are a lot nicer though. You can tell they did away with what I thought was a kind of cartoony look to the game. There is no slow down either. The levels are also done with more detail then ever before. They seemed to add more automobiles in to. They still have the goofy outfits you can be in. The over all character frame and graphics are also a big improvement. I don't see anything wrong with the graphics other then they could have put more of an effort into them. Compared to FFX or even a ''greatest hit'' Like Devil May Cry, they don't compare. Though, there still better then such games as Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse. *snicker*

Game-play=10
------------
This game is overly-addictive to say the least. They added new moves such as. For one you can grab onto cars now. You can also perform ''wallie(s)'' and jump multiple times off of walls now. Taking away some of the challenge if you ask me. Another very weird move to say the least is that called a ''spine''. You can perform them when you jump over half pipes. Instead of getting a monster checklist of stuff to do. You now have to talk to people to get mission objectives. This deletes the problem of the ''Time limit'' that I all so hated. You can now just skate around and practice your skills. There's also some objectives that only open up after you have gotten some other ones done previously on the stage you are presently on. You also get cash to buy secret's and new boards. You sometimes after a mission get a Stat Point. You also can buy those Out-takes if you will.

Sound/Music-7
-------------
The only music they basically got is rock, punk rock , an more cruddy rock. I'm a big rap fan, therefore this is why it doesn't appeal to me. They give you one good rap song by NWA. Though A/C D/C ''tnt'' get's old after the 7th time. Thanks good for the mute button. The only reason I really gave this such a high score was for the fact that. Atleast they put effort into the music. They got a big collaboration of different rock tunes. They didn't make there own crappy songs like on some other games. Despite the music, they got good sound effects. People yell at you, or you fall into the water. Little stuff like that make's a game like this stupendous.

Replay/Multi-player=10
------------------------
Tony Hawk games have always had very high replay value. There is no exception here. The missions and just skating around will keep you coming back for more and more. I still play Tony Hawk 3 and I beat that game a long time ago. You can also go up against others on the Internet. That is fun. There are games you can play such as ''King of the hill''. Where you must maintain a the crown for a certain amount of time to win. Though you will go slower to keep things even. Downloading parks off the internet from Neversoft's Park Vault makes the games replay value skyrocket. I would give it about a 15 or a 16 if I could. Beating troahbarton online by about 500,000 points never get's old....

Rent or buy
-------------
If your a fan= Buy
If you don't like Tony Hawk= Rent
I you your edgy about a purchase= Rent

Reason is that you don't know how much you will like the changes made in this years Tony Hawk.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/01/02, Updated 07/29/03

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Add Comment No Comment
Comments are sent anonymously - 140 character max.