"Bah, I think the Hawk is flying into the ground. . . ."

INTRODUCTION
I've always been a HUGE fan of the Tony Hawk Series. When I heard that they was coming out with another one, I wasn't surprised one bit. Cause I knew they would, but I heard they was changing it. So, I was like, SWEET! So, I found out what the new feature was, and I was thinking, YES! The new feature? In season mode, if you're not wanting to do a goal, you can just skate. NO TIMER! Definitely a great new feature, so, I went up to my Wal-Mart last month and bought the game. Took it home, put it in, and was like, EH! It was definitely not what I was expecting. It seems that they take this series to a awesome level, and then drop the ball. Okay, I thought the first game was good. I thought the second game was alright, I thought the third game was excellent, but this one, I think it's so so. Now, with all of this out of the way, let's get started.

SOUND
Without a doubt, the sound is great. You can hear everything real well, when you fall, you can hear the skater say something. So, since the sound is great, there's no need to go any further. So, I'm going to give the sound a perfect score! 10/10

MUSIC
The music is nothing great at all! It's really terrible, the only two songs on here that are good are AC/DC's ''TNT'' and System Of A Down's ''Shimmy''. It's definitely not like Tony Hawk 3's music was. Too much non-talented punk rock groups and just terrible rap music clutters this music soundtrack. So, I'm going to give the music a 2 out of 10. 2/10
REASON FOR THIS SCORE: Non-talented punk bands, rap music

GRAPHICS
The graphics in this game are pretty good. The level designs are great, and some of the skaters are well made, and some of the citizens are well made. But, the women skaters look HORRIBLE. Half the time, you're looking at them and thinking, ''What the heck are they?!'' They're just, UGH! So, with all of this said, I'm going to give the graphics a 6 out of 10. 6/10
REASON FOR THIS SCORE: The women skaters look like men

SEASON MODE
Since there's no story, I figured I'd throw in the season mode here. Well, the no timer when you just want to skate is a great feature. But, it's not so grand when it comes to the difficulty. The frustration factor and the difficulty is VERY high in this game. A lot of the goals are hard, and all of that junk. So, the no timer is going to help the score out some, but not really. So, with this said, I'm going to give the season mode a 5 out of 10. 5/10
REASON FOR THIS SCORE: Very frustrating

GAMEPLAY
Without a doubt, the gameplay is high in this game. You have a lot of multiplayer modes to choose from, the online mode makes its return, the Create a Skater, the season mode, the Create a Park. So, you're really tooken care of. But, the Create A Skater is pretty good, it's not the best thing. But, the Create A Park, it's horrible. It's really hard to figure out. And you don't have a lot of freedom with it. So, that really sucks. And like I already covered on the season mode, it's really frustrating and hard. But, the thing is, you have A LOT of stuff to unlock in this game. You have cheat codes to unlock, videos, decks, and clothes. And the videos are actually worth unlocking, they're pretty good and funny. So, the unlockables and the multiplayer modes will help out here, some. Well, I'll just go halfway and give the gameplay a 5 out of 10. 5/10
REASON FOR THIS SCORE: The season mode is hard, and the create a (insert name) sucks

REPLAY VALUE
Well, as I said, there's A LOT of stuff to unlock. So, that's a good thing. Cause like I said earlier, the unlockables are actually worth unlocking. So, you probably know what I'm going to give the replay value. Yep, you guessed it, a perfect score! 10/10

FUN FACTOR
Well, if you're going to just skate, it's fun. But, if you're going to do the season mode, it's hard as hell. So, I'm just going to give the fun factor a 5 out of 10. 5/10
REASON FOR THIS SCORE: Hard season mode

Fun Factor - 5/10
AVERAGE - 6.1
FINAL SCORE - 6/10

RENT or BUY?
Definitely RENT THIS GAME. If you like it, then buy it. It's just not groundbreaking like the others. If you want to buy a Tony Hawk game, buy Tony Hawk 3 for the PS2. It's a ''Greatest Hits'' now, so that means it'll be $19.99. But, with this one, I just didn't feel nothing like I did when I played the others. I guess this game would be great to play with family and friends. But, if you're going to play this by yourself, you're not going to have a great time. Hopefully, the makers will do something great with this game for the next one. Remember, this review came from a big fan of the series!

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/27/02, Updated 12/27/02