Review by Manuel Garcia C

"A great short game"

''One Ring to rule them all...''

INTRODUCTION
The books were a success. The films too. Why not making a video game? And so they did...

However, ''The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'' video game was a failure. That's when EA was chosen to develop the ''The Two Towers'' game. As you may have realized because of the final mark, they did a good work.

GAMEPLAY -9-
This game is divided into missions, just like in many other action games. However, they are short, and there is not many of them. They cover both ''The Fellowship of the Ring'' and ''The Two Towers'' movies. I say movies instead of books because this game is based on the films. They had to cover both because the development of the first game was not in their hands and, let's face it, the other game was not good at all.
In spite of the fact that the game is short, it's not a bad game. What you have to do, basically, is fight against enemies that keep coming and coming..... and coming. If you play it, you'll know what I mean ^_^. To do this, you can chose between three characters: Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli. Of course, they have their advantages and disadvantages, being Legolas the ''quick but weak'', Gimli the ''strong but slow'' and Aragorn the ''nothing too bad, but nothing too good''.
The controls are easy to master, but you may have a hard time trying to remember all the combos. You will most likely end up using the same one over and over again.

STORY -10-
I think that everyone around the world already knows the ''Lord of the Rings'' story, but for those who doesn't here is a brief explanation of it.
A golden ring fell in the hands of a Hobbit, named Bilbo. But this wasn't a normal ring: by wearing it, people could become invisible. However, it had evil powers that made everyone who came in contact with it go crazy. People who had had it, always wanted it back, by any means possible. Being advised by a wizard named Gandalf, Bilbo passes on the Ring to Frodo, who is asked to go to were it was made to destroy it. However, as Frodo and his company get closer to this place, called Mordor, the ring becomes a very heavy burden.
That's basically all there is to it. The books, movies and games show the journey of Frodo and his companions towards Mordor.

GRAPHICS -9-
The graphics are amazing. I can't describe them. You feel like if you were inside the movie. The enemies are made as carefully as the main characters. Also, there are always a lot of them at the same time in the screen, and the game doesn't slow down at all.
What I really don't like in terms of graphics, and that's bringing the score down, are the CGs. Between missions you see scenes directly taken out of the movie, but suddenly the wonderful scenes become video game graphics. And they are not well done at all, they are awful. I don't know why they didn't just leave them as they were in the film. That's the only bad point, anything else is just beautiful.

SOUND -10-
The sound is wonderful. You can hear several songs from the Lord of the Rings original soundtrack, and they are all amazing. The sound effects are great too.
What is really good about the sound, is how the music is situated. It always goes well with what you are playing. I'll explain what I mean.
You are walking through a quiet forest, with no enemies around. There is no music, only sound effects. Out of the blue, orcs rush in. At this point, the music suddenly starts to match the situation. The orcs are defeated. Music stops and everything becomes quiet again.
Did I make my point? Well, I hope so.

PLAY TIME / REPLAYABILITY -5-
The weak point of the game. It's really short. You can easily finish this game with all the characters, getting all abilities along the way, in about a week. After that, the game just becomes repetitive. Not too much replayability, in my opinion.
You may be thinking, if the game got a 5 at this, why the final mark didn't go down?. The answer is easy: because while you are playing, it's a great game. Not good, great. I think that is enough to get a high final mark.

EXTRAS
I will not put a mark in this section. I just put it because it's another thing the game includes. It affects the final mark though.
While you play the game, some extras will unlock. They are concept art, sketches, trailers, making of's and interviews. There are tons of them and all are great.

BUY OR RENT?
This is one of those game that should be rented. You must have realized that by now, after reading the Play Time section. This is because it is such a short game. However, you may buy it if you want, as I did.

FINAL MARK
Gameplay: 9
Story: 10
Graphics: 9
Sound: 10
Play Time / Replayability: 5
Extras: Doesn't have a mark, but affects the final one.
FINAL MARK: 9