Review by Dave Dread

"Great Rental, but nothing more!"

Introduction

To be honest with you, my dad bought me this when I pointed it out to him while me and my family were out doing the Christmas shopping. He said I could have the game if I wanted since I have been learning to drive a car and making good progress (not anymore, got a broken finger...ugh). Anyway this game was developed by Gotham games and produced by Big Ape. It is based on the MTV programme ''Celebrity Deathmatch.'' I warn you though this is only for over 15's since it does contain mild violence but to be honest it is all in there for fun and nothing else. So anyway lets get started.

Graphics 8/10

The graphics are cartoony like in appearance so it is like you are watching a live episode of Celebrity Deathmatch. All the animations are well done and very smooth with each character having good cartoony character design. The arenas are very well done since you can get to battle from the normal Deathmatch Arena all the way up to a Space Arena. The downside is that most of the frame rates are very choppy especially when activating your special and kill moves.

Gameplay 7/10

The gameplay is basic but is very catchy. All the characters have their own set of moves (except if your any of the NSYNC member since they basically have the same moves). For fans of beat em ups, this is definitely not for you, it is more for mild wrestling fans. The character selection is alright but most of the European gamers won't have a clue who some of the people are in this game which is a major downside. Also I mentioned this is for mild wrestling fans but don't expect to be pulling off Chokeslams and Pedigrees or even doing grapples since this is more of a funny version of wrestling. I warn you though most moves are basic and repetitive since each character has the same off the top rope attacks and the same ground attacks.

Sound 8/10

The sound is absolutely great. When slamming somebody into the mat it actually sounds like it hurts. From magic spells being cast to men farting everything is great. The bad part comes with the commentary which is funny for about 2 minutes and then you may as well turn the sound off.

Replayability 1/10

I know this is an extremely low score for a game but I completed this game of hard in 1 hour and 30 minutes and that included me using the bathroom 2 times and getting a drink at one point. After you have completed it the only thing you can do is create a very crap celebrity and try and do something with it.

Overall 7/10

This game is the perfect rental but nothing more. It is fun for about 3 days then you may as well give in. With not much replayability you could complete this the same day you rent it and complete it 5 times.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/03