Review by wolverinefan

"An okay fighter"

Story
Well, there really isn't much of a story. Big monsters fight in cities to rule the world or something like that. There are endings but they feel more like a movie trailer than a true ending. The game does have the whole B movie feel down perfectly. I give story a 2/10

Control
The control is simplistic. You have a guard button, a light attack, a heavy attack, a jump button and a grab button. You can also strafe, it's all very easy to get the hang of and while it's possible to beat the game by button mashing, it's a lot easier to just learn some combos. I give control a 8/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
There isn't any voice acting that I noticed. The sound effects are really good and it's just cool to be thrown into a building and then hear it crumble. The music is very B movie-ish and fits very well but it gets old kinda quick. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 8/10

Game play
The game play isn't anything all that special. Imagine playing as a giant monster in a blocked in city where you can smash down buildings and pick up cars and use them as projectiles and all the while crunching tiny people with your big feet. That's all the game play basically is. Choose from a fair amount of monsters and battle it out in one of a cities that is in the game. The levels aren't huge but since everything can be destroyed, you can look past that. The monsters all pretty much play the same as they have the same basic attacks but they all do have strengths and weaknesses. Adventure mode is kinda long and gets tedious after awhile. The first boss is insanely hard because it's just too hard to target for some reason. You get three main modes of play. Adventure, Endurance and I can't remember the other one but I think it's Free For All. There is also a two player mode and some mini games like dodge ball. I give game play a 8/10

Replay Value
Well, I got bored with the game after beating it with just one character but there is a ton of stuff to unlock and it takes awhile. If you have a save for Twisted Metal: Black where you beat the game with Sweet Tooth, you unlock the Mecha Sweet Tooth costume which is an added bonus for Twisted Metal fans. Two player mode is fun but it gets old and the mini games do add a fair amount of replay value. I give replay value a 6/10

Final Score
I give War Of The Monsters a 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: War of the Monsters (US, 01/14/03)