Review by pwnzrd

"Don't Waste Your Money on This Game"

When I first heard about this game, I thought that monsters pummeling each other into pulp would be really fun and enjoyable, but sadly, I was very, very wrong. This game is completely and utterly horrible. I don't know why it's getting good reviews here on GameFAQs because it doesn't deserve anything above a five, and that's being generous. Simply put, this is a good idea gone horribly, horribly wrong.

First of all, the fighting in this game is unbelievably repetitive and just becomes a huge endless cycle of hitting your enemies across the stage, shooting your projectile attacks at them and picking up sedans to throw at them. Your ability to block might as well be non-existent because while you're blocking, you can't rotate your monster's body at all, so the other monster(s) can just run up behind you and take a couple of whacks at your back.

Secondly, AI is simply too good in this game. They pick up all the items on the floor and never stop hitting you with them. Even on the easiest difficulty setting, the computer tends to suddenly use huge combos against you with the cheapest weapons on the floor. On the topic of items, I'm going to bring up the problem about the endless items on the ground. Literally, there are unlimited items. As soon as you run out of items in one place, you destroy all the buildings until you pick up a construction pipe, or you move to a different place where there are more items. There are so many items that when you actually want to pick something up, you end up picking up something completely useless. Basically, by the time you finally pick up the item you want, your enemy will have found you and bashed your head in.

While playing, I found the camera to be a problem that I often ran into. The camera is horrible and often gets stuck in buildings or behind buildings, and you can't rotate the camera either.

Another problem is that the power-ups on the floor give so much of an advantage that it becomes "Keep Other Monsters Away from the Power-ups" instead of "War of the Monsters". They boost your health so much that a match between another human opponent never ends because both of you keep replenishing your health.

Out of the nine or so monsters, two monsters can fly. Those two monsters have a humongous advantage. So huge, in fact, that it is literally impossible to defeat them. It doesn't matter if you've had the game for a decade and your friend comes along and plays this game for the first time. If they choose a monster that can fly, and they know how to use their projectile attack, you're doomed. The thing with these wonderful flying monsters is that one, you can't hit them (very easily), two, the damage they do with their projectile attack is seriously upped, three, they always get the best items because they can move so freely, and four, their energy regenerates insanely fast. So all they have to do is fly up into the air and shoot at you, pick up weapons to impale you with, and you're pretty much screwed.

If I told you that this game didn't look good graphic-wise, I would be lying. The graphics in this game are pretty much the only thing I can praise this game for. Still, there isn't anything about the graphics that will make your jaw drop, and even if they were the best graphics in the gaming world, it still wouldn't make up for the crappy game play.

The sound in this game is okay. The music is nothing great and it gets repetitive really fast. The in-game sounds are good compared to the rest of the game. The explosions, screams, and monster roars are all well done.

Lastly, there is absolutely no replay value. There are some levels to unlock and three mini-games that offer no fun at all. Basically, this game gets really boring, really fast. After a while, you don't even want to look at or hear about this game.

Now this game is A LOT more fun if you have friends to play with you. Wait, scratch that. This game is A LOT more fun if you have one friend to play with you. Yep, that's right. This game can only be played with two people, which sucks. How much work could it have taken to add a four-player mode or better yet, make it online compatible? I don't know about you, but that certainly would make me a lot happier about this game.

The bottom line is, this game blows. It's definitely not worth fifty bucks. Hell, I wouldn't even pay twenty bucks for this game. Do not waste your money on this game.

Pros:

Graphics look good
In-game sounds are well-done

Cons:

Repetitive and annoying fighting
AI annoying
Power-ups too good
Camera is weird
Cheap monsters
No replay value
No four-player or online mode

Overall Grade: