Review by dafreestyleking

"A game with subpar graphics, bad sound, and wrestlers I've never heard of. So why do I like this?"

Hi, my name is dafreestyleking and this is my review for King Of Colosseum: Red for the playstation 2. Gamers must make choices, is this game a good choice, or like the Suns trading for Shaq a bad choice? Let's find out.

I'm a pretty big wrestling fan and also a huge video gamer. For years I've played through, or suffered through the Smackdown Vs. Raw games, some good but lacking smart A.I., a ton of moves to choose from and a great grappling system. Thankfully, I don't have to look for that anymore, KOC: Red was the answer to my problems.

Also, in order to play this game on an American ps2, you must have either of these 2 things: 1.) A ps2 with a modchip or 2.)Swap Magic. Japanese games will not play on an American ps2 without them, so get either of these required tools if you want to play this game!

SOUND: 6/10

The game doesn't sound good. The wrestlers sound muffled, the entrance themes are all terrible. But on the plus side the crowd will scream when a big move is performed, a nice touch. Also the commentary can be a plus or negative since it's in japanese. I personally didn't mind it, and even though I don't understand what they're saying they at least sound very into the match, which is a plus.

GRAPHICS: 7/10

I'm not a graphics nerd, but it never hurts to look at a pretty game. KOC: Red however is not a pretty game, but it's decent.

CAW:(Create-A-Wrestler) 9/10

If I had to pick one word to describe the CAW I would say...wow. In other wrestling games, the amount of moves to choose from is quite small, not the case in this game. There are a ton of moves to choose from, many different variations of the same type of move, i.e. piledriver, spike piledriver, package piledriver etc. There are so many moves to choose from, some moves I had never seen before. A dream for any wrestling fan.

You create the way your wrestler looks by selecting from the in-game wrestler faces. The same goes for clothes, you can't edit the outfits' length, you can only change the color.It kinda stinks that you can't customize the face/attire of your wrestlers, but with a CAW this deep it won't bother you that much really.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10

This isn't a race to use your finisher type of game. KOC: Red is a game that rewards patience. Pressing R1+ triangle, square, circle, or x will activate a clutch. Once engaged in a clutch, press a button to do a move, but watch your wrestler carefully. Trying to do a move before the clutch is activated or waiting too long to do a move will result in your move getting reversed. And they're are different clutches to choose from such as: the powerbomb/piledriver clutch, the suplex clutch, etc.

The wrestlers in this game are smart. Wrestlers in this game are realistic. You don't see power wrestlers doing hurricananas, or crap like that. Big men do power moves, small guys do quick, lucha-style moves, and submission wrestlers work on a specific body part. There are also realistic reversals, and many different reversals at that.

The speed of the game is just right, most of my matches lasting at least +20 minutes. I've always been annoyed how quickly matches are in American wrestling games.

PROS:
-Top quality grappling engine.
-A ton of moves to choose from. You will never have a problem with a limited moveset.
-Matches are long, no arcade race to the finisher type matches here.
-Smart A.I.

CONS:
-so so graphics
-bad sound
-generic ring entrances
-CAW create mode isn't as detailed like the Smackdown Vs. Raw series.

My advice, if you want a really good wrestling game, and you don't mind not knowing who the wrestlers are, or the average ps2 graphics, pick this game up.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/03/08

Game Release: King of Colosseum (Red): Shin Nippon x Zen Nippon x Pancrase Disc (JP, 12/19/02)