"Definitely NOT the Best Baseball Game of 2004, but at least its playable..."

Overall, I really don't think All-Star Baseball 2004 is a really bad game. It's just not quite up to par with the rest of the sports games out there. The batting system is confusing, and difficult to get used to. The fielding controls are sub-par, and the running controls are horrendous. However, even with these flaws, it maintains its ability to amuse you... even if its only for a little while. This is not a game for those of you who are easily frustrated, as you will probably destroy your PS2, TV, or both while trying to hit the ball or when your runner accidentally goes to the next base and you can't get him to go back.

So what's good about this game that makes you give it a 6/10?

Well, once you get used to them, the controls really aren't too bad. Except for the batting controls, they suck no matter what you do. Even after getting used to the controls, you still may find yourself accidentally telling runners the wrong things. But, this game's graphics are pretty good, and there are plenty of modes to play. The baseball card points is a nice addition, as it gives you reason to try to pitch the perfect game. Also, one of my favorite things ever in a baseball game, the Home Run Derby, is included in this one. The Expansion mode is where, in my opinion, this game really shines. You pick your city, your mascot, and even your stadium. Then you go through a draft, and tweak your team to perfection. You even have high minor leagues, and low minor leagues to put the newer players in. So if you pick this game up, I suggest trying out the Expansion Mode.

Is there anything else that's not really that great about this game?

Yes, the sound affects aren't that bad, but they could've used some background music throughout the whole game. The announcers are about as exciting as playing with your Grandmother. I mean, come on now... the announcers don't even get excited when you hit a home run, its just not right. I think I'd rather get a root canal than be forced to listen to these announcers for very long. And then there's the controls again... hitting the ball is near impossible some of the time, especially when they are throwing a good fastball or curve ball. Also, the game is totally unrealistic, with pitchers always getting the ball when its hit straight towards them, but somehow a great fielder can drop a routine catch? Its just not that real...

So what do you think, buy this game, or what?

If you plan on buying a baseball game without renting, don't buy this one. Buy MVP or something that's really good. If you really are interested in this game, rent it first, then if you're one of the few who enjoy playing it, then you can go out and blow your money on this hunk of crap. If I really wasn't such a nice guy, I'd probably give this game a 1/10, just out of sheer frustration alone. But I guess I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for the good ole All-Star Baseball Franchise. So unless you are a huge fan of the franchise, and would buy there baseball games even if it didn't actually have baseball in it, steer clear of this game.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/03, Updated 05/25/03