Review by Jadestorm

"3D adventure/platformer with some twists"

Introduction

Despite an amusing commercial and indications of how great this game was going to be, I was originally quite skeptical. After picking this game up, I must say I am pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, nothing about this game has absolutely wowed me yet, but it's definitely solid fun. The premise and characters are very entertaining and the graphics are good. One of the things I'm finding very interesting about I-Ninja is that it has quite a few different styles of gameplay. For instance, very soon after playing you play a mode that's a lot like playing Super Monkey Ball. I'll leave the other modes as a surprise, but it makes the game feel like a lot of mini-games rolled into one, and fits together quite well. The ninja himself has quite an attitude going should keep you amused the whole way through. It's challenging but not too challenging so far. That said, I haven't played too far through it yet, but I wanted to provide an initial review for those who are asking about it. All in all, I don't think you will find yourself disappointed if you pick it up. Since I haven't played very far through it, I'm not going to give number ranks to anything below as I don't think that would be very fair.

Gameplay

The controls handle quite well. There are points in the game where you will require some precision operation of the analog sticks, so you may need some practice. The camera work seems to behave nicely, and you have a combination of the right analog stick to control the camera and a first person view to help you out in tight situations. All in all, the controls feel responsive and are fairly easy to get to know.

Story

So far, the story is nothing special. As you can read about online, you found a rage stone after killing a dragon and now you are on a quest to find the rest of the rage stones.

Graphics/Sound

The music is very ''cute'' and catchy. The sound effects are well done. Depending on your personality, you may get annoyed at the things the ninja says as he's fighting and such. In fact, I was semi-annoyed at them at first, but soon I grew used to them and they don't bother me at all anymore. In fact, I now find them amusing. The graphics is nothing special but certainly not bad... somewhat phantasy star online-ish.

I can't speak for play time or replayability, but I would at the very least recommend renting it. I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy it flat out, but then you'll have to determine that for yourself. =)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/29/03