Review by groz24

"Great classics lacking in 1 area."

Activision Anthology is one of those games that lets you hearken back to the old days of Atari. There are a ton of classics on here, with new modes of play to try as well. On to the scores:

Gameplay 8/10
The games are emulated wonderfully, and you should find quite a few that are fun for you to play. With over 40 games, there's bound to be something for everyone. As you get high scores on some of the games new game modes are opened up to play under such as playing the game on a cube, or playing as the game screen goes away from you and then towards you like it is on a bungee cord. If you ever miss some of the old games you could just pick up and play, then this compilation is sure to have some you'll enjoy.

Graphics 7/10
Plain and simple, they are 20 year old graphics. Quite honestly though, I doubt anyone looking at this review is really worried about the graphics.

Sounds 7/10
The games sound just like they did, or at least how I remember them sounding. The 80's music that was licensed for the game was a great touch in my opinion, I just wish there were more songs. It really puts you in the mood though.

Replay Value 7/10
If you want to play a game, but don't have much time, then these games will be perfect for you. It's easy to pick up and put down for small periods of time so you don't have to worry about reaching a certain point before you can save. This also leads me to the biggest flaw this collection has, no high score saves. Most of the fun in playing these games would be escalated if there was a list of high scores for me and my friends to beat. That said, there are still plenty of fun things to unlock. The new gameplay modes add a twist to all of your old favorites, and the commercials are just plain awesome. I've already watched the hockey commercial well over a dozen times and it cracks me up every time. The patches are pretty cool too, but another thing I wish was included was a list of what you need to do to unlock everything.

Despite not having high score saves, this is still a great collection of games that I feel lucky to be able to play on my PS2, and I would encourage everyone who likes to play an old school game every now and again to go pick this one up, I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/03