Review by paranoid14

"This game isn't as bad as some say."

Oh, when I got my PS2 I decided to look around for a good first game. I saw ''Game of the Year'' on the cover of Ghost Recon, and I bought it right away. It said game of the year, but I had no idea it would be so good.

Graphics 10/10

You can tell right away in the first mission that this game pays alot of attention to detail. The way the trees sway in perfect time with the sound of the wind, sand flying up when you shoot the ground, and in later missions water flying up when you shoot it. The baddies are rendered nicely, as are you teammates. You don't get to see your gun in front of you, but that's no problem.

Sound 9/10

There isn't much music in the game, but where it is it's appropriate. Sound when you complete objectives is good, when you fire a shot and enemies are alerted you are treated to nice music, and every once in awhile you'll hear a beat or two in long, suspicious stretches of darkness and trees. Sound effects are very well done, the sound of gunfire and rockets being launches are superb. Footsteps in the sand, on wood floors, and on cement floors are perfect. The few words that are spoken in gameplay are nice additions, especially because the bad guys speak in their native languages. Very cool indeed.

Gameplay/Controls 9/10

Very well done. Controls are like any PS2 shooter, for the most part. R1 to fire, the analog sticks to move/look, and X to reload. Some, like zoom and night vision, are newer but are easy to get used to. Gameplay is really good, sneak-around style. Not a run-up-and-kill, but a 'stay in the shadows and take 'em out quietly' thing. It only takes two or three hits to down a man, enemy or otherwise, so be careful.

Story 7/10

A group of terrorists seek to rebuild the old Soviet empire. You, as the ghosts, must stop them before all-out war rages. Blah. Not too interesting, not too bad. The second part, Desert Storm, is basically a fallout from the first part, a series of events leads to a big Middle East bad guy getting alot of arms and invading a neighboring country. I prefer playing this one.

Should I get this?

Yes, this is easily one of the best PS2 games out. I give it a 9/10 because the story is the only low point, and it gets so much better in Desert Storm. Buy this game if you have the money and are interested in a unique shooter.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/19/03, Updated 06/19/03