Review by Swift1

"You ARE the Splinter Cell"

Since Splinter Cell was released on November 19, 2002 for Xbox, the big question that people who only own a PS2 (such as myself) have been asking is, ''When will it be released for PS2?'' Well the wait is over for us. Splinter Cell has finally been released for the PS2 and I assume made the transition quite nicely (I have to assume because I have never played the Xbox version). The PS2 version has certain features that aren't found in the Xbox or PC versions such as: a unique mission (power plant), 30 minutes of extra movies showing the making of Splinter Cell as well as other things, and a brand new intro movie. Some things have changed from the Xbox levels such as the levels changing in some ways and, from what I understand, becoming easier.

Superb is the best way I can describe these. Ubi made sure they were kept excellent in the transition from Xbox to PS2. The shadow effects are still there and, though slightly toned down, they still look great. However, they do not look as good a they did for Xbox but no game probably ever will due to the simple fact that Xbox is more powerful. They still look incredible though and are definitely some of the best I've ever seen.

Audio: 9/10
Very good. Helps when you need to be stealthy so you can see if you're walking too fast and making too much noise so that someone will notice you. There isn't too much on the music side of it that I've noticed. If someone sees you all that really happens is that the tempo of the music picks up.

If you've read a Tom Clancy book you know that the story is good (haven't played one of the games before but I imagine they're good too). The country of Georgia (around Russia, Turkey, and Iraq) has emerged as one of the worlds most powerful countries. Two NSA (National Security Agency) agents had been missing and Sam Fisher (your character) is sent to Georgia to find them. Through the next 9 missions you attempt to prevent World War III.

This is a stealth game, first and Foremost. There aren't many times when you'll get into a huge firefight. Some missions you can't kill a single person. A lot of the time you have to stay hidden. The most important thing to remember about this game is that it is a STEALTH game.

Replay: 10/10
It kinda depends on you. After you complete a mission you can go back and do it again but that's about it.

Rent or Buy
$5 or $50? This is definitely a buy if you're a fan of stealth games. However, if you're expecting something like Metal Gear Solid you'll probably be disappointed. Remember, this game is mainly a STEALTH game (hopefully you know this by now)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/13/03, Updated 04/13/03