Review by InvisibleSir

""Stay quiet: you don't want your life to end in the boy's room...""

Intro: SO! The Xbox smash hit finally arrives on the PS2! But how does it transfer? How do the controls do on a different controller? etc? Let me tell you, as one who has played both versions, it transfers wonderfully!!

Splinter Cell was always praised for its wonderful graphics; how it pushed the Xbox's engine to the point of exhaustion. However, it does just as good, if not better, on the PS2. No no no, don't run away yet: hear me out. Sure the Xbox version is more pleasing to the eye with slick, smooth textures and all. But EVERYTHING is shiny on the Xbox version, even the books! The textures on the PS2 just look more real to me, if not as much eye-candy.

Absolutely, positively amazing! Footsteps and voices echo in spacious hallways. Sound will change from left to right speaker depending on where you're facing. Character voices are hollywood-quality, especially with Michael Ironside for Sam Fisher! His voice is perfect for Sam's attitude. All other sounds are just as crisp and clean as you could ask for.

Here's where the PS2 always comes shining with the wonderful simplicity of it's controller. Controls are easy to master. Many people complain about how the right analog controls the camera, but you get used to it quickly. Sam has a plethora of moves to do, from wall splits, chokeholds, rolling, peeking, hanging, sliding, shooting around corners, shooting while hanging, shooting while doing a wall split, need I go on? Yet every move is accesable easily.

Difficulty: Hard!

No question about it: this game is hard! So many conflicts in the game can only be gotten over by trial and error, unless you are good at improvising. Many times in the game you'll find yourself trying different approaches to a problem and rethinking your way of playing. This game will teach you to question your gameplaying strategies that you have built up over the years of playing easier games.

Replayability: dependant on you!

If you like stealth games, this will be your Nirvana. You could be stuck on this game for days having forgotten what sleep really is!

Rent or buy: again, dependant on you!

If you like stealth games you will want to buy this asap! If you're not sure, you might want to rent it and see.
However I believe that this game is a great addition to the collection of anyone who enjoys action games.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/18/03, Updated 04/18/03