Review by Edge107

"Something new to the stealth gaming world"

This is my review for stealth/action game Splinter Cell. I hope it answers all your questions.

Gameplay-10
It couldn't get any better than this. I have not had this much fun playing a game in a long time. Splinter Cell puts you right in the shoes of Sam Fisher where you will have to put every skill you know to the test in order to complete your objectives in the 10 exciting missions this game has to offer. As you wander through the missions you will constantly meet new and fascinating challenges and objectives. You will be sucked up in the games unique movements, environments, enemies, and weapons. Splinter Cell adds a new style of gameplay to the stealth gaming world to put it simply. You will have to play this game to really fully enjoy all it has to offer. Not only does the game have all the stuff mentioned above, but it flows very well too. Never freezing and its quick load time lead me to say that. For all of these reasons I give this game a 10 in gameplay.

Graphics-10
Wow, is a good word to describe the graphics. I had doubts that this games graphics would be good, but that idea quickly changed after 15 minutes of playing. I could go on forever talking about graphics, but this is a review so I will just base around the exceptionally good things. First off, the movements. From the crouching to the split jumps, everything is extremely realistic. You could only see something more lifelike, in reality itself. Second, the environment. The environment looks like something you would watch on the Discovery Channel instead of in a video game. I personally like the immense detail in everything such as a mud stain on a wall, or a soda can lying on the ground. But the best part about the graphics, is Sam Fisher himself. You could not get a video game character any more life like than him. Every detail in his clothes and face makes him the most detailed character I have ever seen.

Sound-10
The crackling of a twig, the bustle of an office building, the roaring of a fire are all the everyday noises you hear in Splinter Cell. Although there really isn't any background music, the sound effects make it all up. The precise timing of the sound is also great. My reasons for saying that is the second you step on some ruble, you will there rolling of stones. It is also always fun seeing someone mouth move and the words coming out with it. Not like one of those old Japanese movies. I might have given sound a 9 if it wasn’t for one thing, and that thing is a glass bottle. Yes a glass bottle. In Splinter Cell you can pick up glass bottles and throw them and when it hits the ground it sound exactly like a glass bottle should sound after you smash it against the ground. This is my personal favorite sound effect. I give sound a big 10.

Controls-9
Every game has to have some flaws, and Splinter Cell’s occurred in controls. Although the controls are quite easy to learn, executing them is the hard part. I often find myself trying to grab onto a pipe, but accidentally falling to a horrible fate below. I also constantly find myself trying to quickly mantel something to escape danger, but accidentally jumping, exposing myself to a couple bullets from my enemy. But these reasons to not stop me from giving controls a 9, mainly because the controls could have been much, much more confusing and harder to memorize.

Time-10
I find many games are becoming shorter and shorter as the years go by, but Splinter Cell is certainly not one of those games. Although it only has 10 missions, each mission ranges from 1 hour long, to 3 hours long. I got my game 2 weeks ago and I am only on the 6th mission, so you are guaranteed at least 20 hours of fun gameplay. The only fall back is there is only one mode in Splinter Cell, which makes sense, seen as it is a stealth game. I have no complaints about the games length and you probably wont either.

Fun Factor-10
Nothing better than waking up to tactical sabotage and gun fights. There is no possible way you can’t have fun playing Splinter Cell (unless you don’t like video games). Even though this is a pretty serious game, there are some comical moments, such as knocking out a guy while he is taking a leak. My favorite thing to do is a human shield, while it is not a very nice thing to do to someone, it is still fun to do. There are many other cool things to do such as a drop attack and rappelling down walls. For all the fun this game has given me I give fun factor a 10.

Buy or Rent
If you have some patience and love stealth/action games, then don’t even waste your money renting it for you are guaranteed to love it, but if you don’t have any patience what so ever and hate not being able to charge into battle bullets flying all around, then maybe this game isn’t for you.

Overall
Gameplay-10
Graphics-10