Review by BLACKnBLUE

"This game is a disappointment. I thought it'd be better"

Into

I'm a huge Yu-Gi-Oh fan. But this is one of the worst games I've played this year. I haven't played any of the prequel's to this game, and now that I've played this, I probably will not even give the prequels a look. This game leaves me displeased in almost every category.

Graphics

The graphics aren't bad. Most of the Monsters are well done and look great. They look exactly like their counterparts from the TV series in almost every way, except for one distinct change. All the Duel Monsters look skinny and weak. Which we all know in the game of ''Duel'' monsters that, a weak Duel Monster is never taken seriously. And in this case almost all the Monsters look scrawny and fragile. Now lets move on to what the levels look like. All the levels look great, just as if they were from a real Duel Monsters environment. There are different areas for different Duel Monster, like Meadows and Forests...

Sound

The sound in the game is horrible. It's boring and unexciting and doesn't get you into the game at all. And we all know good games always have good music, this game isn't good nor does it have good music. The sounds the monsters make after they've made quick work of their opponent, or when they've lost to a powerful foe sound awful. Whether they win or lose, they make this awful, ungodly grunting sound. This gets very irritating after a while.

Gameplay

Gameplay? The gameplay in this game is one of the worst control schemes I've ever played. The way the game is played it nothing like the TV series. It's kind of like chess, with combat. The only way to win a match is to either fill the summon spots of your opponent, get rid of all his/her life points, or run out of turns in which to do stuff (100 turns per person). All Yu-Gi-Oh fans know that there are only two ways to really beat an opponent. Take his/her lifepoints to zero, or make them surrender. Also, I don't think the computer can surrender in this game, only the player can. Another thing that annoys me is that, at the beginning of a ''New Game'', you must watch 2 characters talk for about 10 minutes. This is very irritating. They could've made the story at the beginning a little shorter. Also, towards the end of the story, there is a spot when the game asks you if you'd like a tutorial of the gameplay. This tutorial is at least another 15-20 minutes. I don't think a 20 minute tutorial mode is necessary, especially for 4 or 5 changes in gameplay.

Playtime/Replay ability

The playtime in this game is 2-3 days, with all the cards to collect. It adds to the replay value though. So, I'd say that to finish the game and collect all 850 cards would take in the range of anywhere from 3 months to 1 year. Because, you'll need luck to get the rarer cards in the game.

Final Recommendation

I'd Recommend to rent this game, possibly for 7 days or so. And, if you like it, To buy it. But, don't waste your money until you see how you like this game.

Final Score