Review by ShArP ShOt

"A bit of a disappointment"

A little background

Its the early 1990's and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the biggest thing out there. The Turtles had all kinds of memorabilia named in their honor. From video games to clothes. The games of that time were incredible and top notch. Lets fast-forward ten years were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are making another run. Again tons of memorabilia are made with the Turtles name and logo on it. Also they release a video game. The difference between now and then, the game back then is just better. Here is the rundown:

I have to admit I was sketchy on the subject of cell shading. Now after playing a game with it, I absolutely hate it. The details of the Turtles of themselves are great. The words when hitting someone, like WHACK!, are also a nice feature but get in the way and are boring by the ten-thousandth time. The environments are alright. They are a bit disappointing by the fact that you cannot explore to much. Also I don't like how cell shading and the environments go together.

Sounds: 5/10

When I first started to play the game the extra comments that each turtle made, I thought were incredible. but after a half hour of playing time it just got down right annoying. The background music was alright.

Story Line: 7/10

I gave it a 7 because its strictly from the cartoon. Almost nothing was added to the story in the game itself. I would have liked to seen a few of the ''older'' enemies or maybe a few different kinds of levels.

Controls: 7/10

The controls are not to hard but nailing the right combo may be a little hard for the beginning gamer. The basic attacks are easy to accomplish with one button but a combo may be a series of three or four buttons.

Re-Playability: 8/10

The best part of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the ability to pick it up and just start playing. Even if you have already beaten it before. The downside to this? Well you can get completely bored in less than a half hour, or you could get completely lost in time.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this game as a strong rental. It is a great game to play for a few days. This is also most likely you will need to beat the game. If you a die hard Turtle fan I would still recommend you to rent it unless you have to have it in your collection.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/04/03