Review by Gamerater66

"A hall of fame worthy PS2 game"

2004 may have been the best year ever for video gaming - out came the Nintendo DS, the Atari Flashback, and Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (which may be the best games on the GBA). But PS2-wise? Out came a worthy sequel to Gradius, entitled Gradius V. It has everything great you'd expect in a Gradius game - but as always, I need to elaborate.

Plot: 9

The year is 8010. The planet named Gradius is in conflict with a self-regenerating being known as Bacterian, causing a massive space armada. As part of the retaliation, Vic Viper of Gradius' army attacks the enemy spaceships. In the end, he emerges victorious.

The plot is very good (and almost perfect) for a PS2 game set in the 8000's. There's pretty much nothing bad to say about it!

Weapons: 10

The weapons are phenomenal. The Vertical, E Laser, Fire Blaster, and Eagle Wing are among the best weapons in the game. Even the weapons from Super R-type are no match for these 4 weapons combined! Sorry, R-type fans.

Music: 10

Again, the music is phenomenal. As always, you ARE in the year 8010, listening to cyber-music. The boss theme and introductory theme are among the best in not just the game, or the franchise, but the whole world of shooters.

Visuals: 10

Just as I said in my Strider review, the visuals are breathtaking. Futuristic space environments with planets and... stars (?) in the background. This puts even Super Mario Galaxy (and its sequel) to shame. Sure, the other visuals in other Gradius games were good, but nothing gets as good as Gradius 5's.

Graphics: 10

With the introduction of 2.5D to the Gradius series, there's no way I could ever miss out on this. And it plays out smoothly and realistic too. That said, the graphics are a work of art right here.

Ending: 10

The ending was great! With the help of his futuristic clone, Vic fights and destroys the Bacterion forces. In the end, the planet of Gradius is saved, and the credits start scrolling as Vic flies through space.

Gradius 5 has to be one of the best games on the PS2, and probably the PS2's greatest shooter. There's always a reason shooters reign supreme in the end - it's because they're kept simple, and Gradius 5 kept it that way ever since it was announced back in 2003. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/27/12

Game Release: Gradius V (US, 09/14/04)