Review by Y2JkicksRVD

"Pure Greatness."

The Gradius series is one of my all time favorites. I have played many of the titles, and never once, been disappointed. Gradius may seem like your average Shoot ‘Em-Up, but it is so much more. I don't really know what makes it so special. Perhaps it is just that I've grown up around the series, ever since its early start on the NES.

Graphics--9/10
At first glance, you may think the graphics are nothing more than mediocre. True, this is no Final Fantasy X or Metal Gear Solid 3. But it isn't intended to be. For a shooting game, this has some of the best graphics around. It is a substantial improvement from Gradius: III and IV (PS2), and especially from Gradius: III (SNES) and Gradius Gaiden (PSX). This game includes new details, like textures that are almost too small to notice. I noticed, however. The ship now leaves trails, as do explosions. With many new details, I award the Graphics category a 9 out of 10.

Sound/Music--9/10
Another huge improvement from its earlier days. The sound is great. Each weapon has its own distinct sound. Explosions now sound excellent, instead of a mediocre sound, resembling nothing close to an explosion. The music is not very good, but it does, however, fit in with the game very well. While, I wouldn't want a soundtrack version of it, I don't mind listening to it while shooting enemies and blowing stuff up. Sound and music is deserving of a 9 out of 10, due to the vast improvement of the sound effects.

Controls--10/10
The controls are great. Easy to learn, and they provide all that is necessary and none of the extra “unneeded” things. The only real buttons that do anything are the fire and select weapon buttons. That is all that is needed. It is a simple game, but it so good. The controls have remained virtually unchanged since the very first Gradius on NES to the current Gradius of PS2. The controls are great, I can't stress it enough. The controls get a perfect score.

Gameplay--10/10
For those of you who don't know what Gradius is, it is an awesome game. Seriously, though, it is a horizontal Shoot ‘Em-Up, which takes place entirely in space. You fly a ship, shooting at the enemies and objects that stand in your way. You may think it sounds dumb, but that is because you have never played it. Shooting games rule, and this one, in particular. There is no doubt in my mind, the Gradius games are the greatest shooting games ever. I am not going to pick any one, because they are all so great, that it would not be fair. Amazing gameplay, for an amazing game. Gameplay gets a 10 out of a 10.

Replayability--10/10
This game never gets old. There is so many things that can and will happen that will change what goes on while playing this game. You can customize your ship's weapons, so this also provides an amount of things that will be different after playing through it. With various paths, and different bosses, it will take many years for this game to get old. Not to mention that this game is very hard. Replayability easily gets a 10.

So, I repeat, this game is amazing. The Gradius series is one of my all time favorites. There are many Gradius games, all great. This one lives up to the rest. All I can say is this game rules. Pure Greatness.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/06