Review by KFantasy017

"A decent game, but nothing special."

Introduction:

After coming off of playing volumes 1 and 2, I was expecting a good game in .Hack Outbreak as well. While I got a decent game, it certainly wasn't as good as Infection and Mutation.

Story:

The story picks up where it left off in .Hack Mutation, just like Quarantine picks up after Outbreak.

This is the better part of the game, but sadly, it lacks a bit. The story was good enough for me to stay interested throughout the entire game, but unfortunately, it was rather slow for the first few hours.

For those expecting an epic adventure, you will be very disappointing.

7/10

Gameplay:

This part was very disappointing to me. It is the same old hack and slash gameplay of the first two games, with very little change. I often found myself dying at even the early stages of the game. Most people would find a challenge fun, and so do I, but, this is a kind of difficulty that is just frustrating, and not fun.

You still have to go collecting Virus Cores throughout the game, only this time, you have to collect even more cores for levels. The task is a bit challenging at first, but just becomes tedious later on in the game, when you are focused on the story, only to find you need 11 more cores to go on.

5/10

Sound/Graphics:

The graphics are the same as the previous two, and so are the sounds sadly.

Most of the dungeons look exactly the same, with very limited variety. The characters looked nice during the cut-scenes, and they didn't look that bad in normal graphics either, but, if you are looking for an improvement over the last two games, look somewhere else.

The sound is rather horrible. The voice acting was mediocre at best, and the dungeons all had similar music. It wouldn't be that bad if the music was catchy or relaxing, but I can't think of one memorable track on the entire soundtrack.

6/10

Length/Replayability:

On my first time through, the game took me 23 hours. That was with completing the side-quests that I knew of. Not a very long game if you are just trying to kill time.

Replayability: Low. I beat this game, and no matter how many times I tried to go through it again, I couldn't gather enough attention to do it.

4/10

Buy or Rent?

I'd say this game is worthy of renting. There isn't enough in the game to make you want to buy the game. If you can, I recommend not renting it, and just borrowing it from a friend.

Closing statements:

I tried very hard to like this game, considering I am a big fan of the first two games. Very disappointing for most gamers.

Final Score: 6/10 (Rounded up from 5.5)

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/01/04, Updated 08/31/07

Game Release: .hack//Outbreak Part 3 (US, 09/09/03)