Review by Colonel814

"Really fun, but didn't live up to the hype... or the $50 price tag..."

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is the fourth console Medal of Honor game out there. (5th if you count console and PC) This one takes place in the Pacific theater of World War II, unlike the past console Medal of Honors.

Gameplay
There are nine levels, and while this may be a marked change from other Medal of Honors, the levels are much bigger. Not to worry though, there are ''save radios'' throughout the game, so you can save your progress mid-level and not have to worry about losing your position if you want to stop playing halfway through.
Weapons-wise, a few of the old classics come back, such as the Thompson, the Springfield rifle, and the M1 Garand. There are many new weapons, some better than others.
Difficulty-wise, there are three settings. Easy, Medium, and Hard. This is EXTREMELY self-explanatory, so I won't go into detail on the difficulty... :P
In the end though, it was pretty much another MoH shooter.

Story
Your character is Corporal Joseph Griffin, you were stationed on the USS California in Pearl Harbor on the ''day of infamy''. After Pearl Harbor, your character moves through eight more challenging levels in an attempt to find your character's captured brother Donnie, and to put a kink in the Japanese fighting machine.

Graphics/Sound
Graphics-wise, this game is pretty well done. Weather, terrain, weapons, people... All well done. It wasn't perfect, and there were times where you could see some imperfections in things, it's nothing to really complain about.
Sound-wise... this game really shined. Gunfire, rain, the yells of the soldiers in the middle of battle... everything was essentially perfect.

Online
One word: Meh. Online, this game isn't really anything better than a bunch of people running around blowing each other up until you get tired of it. This may be enough for some people. If you're like me, (perhaps spoiled by SOCOM) you'll probably get bored after 10 or 20 minutes. There's no real strategy, the levels are pretty dull, and I would just expect more from an online game in this day and age.

Replayability
This is another area that MOH:RS died. This game is pretty short. (The game took me about 6 and a half hours to beat on normal) And while the game does have a Multiplayer, (with bots) and an online function, (which I've already discussed) I just didn't find this game to be anything special in this department. I could seriously play MoH: FL again and again, and be entertained, but I just can't do that with this one. Your mileage may vary.

Conclusion
Simple answer: RENT. THIS. GAME. FIRST. There's no point in playing dice with $50. You may love it and keep playing it for weeks, or may finish the game and never want to pick up the controller again. And while I DO think it's worthy of a buy at some point in my game-purchasing future, there's no way I'd want to spend $50 on it, especially with all these other (better, in my opinion) games out there and since my budget is pretty tight...
But if you have an expendable income, loved the past Medal of Honors, and are willing to plunk down $50 at your risk, go ahead and buy it.
For everyone else: rent it first and see what you think.
Overall, this game was pretty good, but the replayability factor killed the game for me. Perhaps it was the different way the story was set out (with fewer, longer levels)... who knows?
Happy gaming! : )