Review by Blump

"Very Worthy of the Medal of Honor Label...."

Since the beginning of the Medal of Honor games (which I'll now refer to as MOH) have the set the standard for World War 2 shooters. The game, and all of it's sequels, really made you feel like you were fighting the Germans with your fellow US soldiers and allies. Then came MOH: Frontline. The first time that I played it this game, the only thing that came to minds was: ''Yeah, this game.'' Amazing. The graphics, while not awe-inspiring, were definetly above-average. The music? Beautiful. The missions? Fun and creative. This game was (and still is, in my opinion) a must have for MOH fans, and First-Person-Shooter (FPS) buffs alike.
Then, a little game known as MOH: Rising Sun was announced. As you can probably tell by the name, it takes place in Japan. It was also announced that there would be a sequel etc. etc.
So, let's just get to the game. When the game begins, you're dropped right into the attack on Pearl Harbor. This sounds like a great concept, and it is, but it has nothing on the opening D-Day level from Frontline. It's more like a tutorial level unfortunately. The next two levels are basically just shooting down planes. One of the things that make the missions kind of ''meh'' are the dumb AI. Some of the Japanese soldiers can be waiting in position, and literally look at you, and not respond. This also goes for your teammates. Yes, you have teammates through most missions now. They are also dumb, sadly. You can expect them to just get shot at and stabbed with bayonets throughout the mission. Which brings me to one new feature in Rising Sun: In-mission saves. The levels are a lot longer now, so one or two save points are scattered throughout the level, via radio. This proves to be useful in some of the later levels...
The graphics, are, in my opinion, better than Frontline. Unfortunately, the foliage shows shades of SOCOM. The grass looks very real in some levels (i.e. Midnight Raid on Guadalcanal) The music, as usual, is amazing. I don't need to go into that. Control is tight, although PC gamers might have trouble using both analog sticks to move and look around.
For some reason, I never felt like I was really in the game. Maybe it's the atmosphere, but I never was too into it. Ehh, to each his own. But, the main problem with Rising Sun is the length of it. Nine missions! Yes N-I-N-E! Missions. That's criminal. know they said the sequel would be the other have of the game (Through the point of view of the main characters brother), but if you are going to give us half a game, please, give it to us for half price! If you liked Frontline as much as I did, definetly give this one a spin. It's atleast a weekend of fun. (With Co-op as well)

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/28/03