Review by BlueOak

"Chess in a new and fun way"

Having played the first one I quickly picked this game up the day it came out. I was expecting about the same difficulty level as the first and play much like the first one. Well I was right and wrong but this could be a good thing either way.

Again, if you know me you know that I am not picky when it comes to graphics. To me they were great, in battle the warriors are all lined up in this certain pattern and it looks very nice. The terrain, like the trees and the mountains, looked some what convincing if you were too look at them at a certain angle. Some of the more important officers have detail in their faces and it is very nicely done. The only reason why I give it a 9 instead of full points is because some of the lesser officers have what they say is a faceless picture because they look nearly the same and hardly any effort was put in the lesser officers.

The music for this game is great! It matches this game perfectly. The sound effects, like the music, match the actions perfectly. The only downside is even though these are perfect to me, too much of a good thing isn't that good. Even though it matches well it repeats so often and sometimes you get rather sick of it and same goes for the sound effects. But, luckily if you are thinking hard while in the middle of a hard battle you won't really notice so it can't annoy you.

Controls: 10/10

Controls...hmm...on this game it is hard to screw this part up. The controls in this game are extremely easy. I mean in the main field you place your army on what city you want to capture or where to send spies. In battle you select where you want your unit to move and/or what tactic to use. Very hard to screw up indeed.

The gameplay is the best part of this game! First you get to select your hero: cao cao, liu bet, sun ce, or lu bu.
After that you get into an automatic fight which is normally quite easy. You get objectives you, recruit officers and you get special cut scenes. The main map reminds me of a board game where you take turns and capture each others cities to rule all of china. In battle it reminds me of a strange way of playing chess you move your units towards the enemy and attack/use tactics against them to defeat or capture them. This game is a super board game koei style.

Replay ability: 10/10

Even though this game is short there are many story paths are different characters to be. There is even a database to keep you playing until you have the data on every single officer/mystic in this game. This game can last for a very long time and will leave hours and hours of a good time.

Although through out the rotk games have basically the same story it is still a good one. Three main heroes try to take control over the lands of china and restore peace threw out the land. The three main heroes were cao cao, liu bei, and sun quan. Having sun quan out lasting both of them he did not take over china but none of those heroes really did. In this game you get to decide you takes control over the land which sounds fun to me....yum taking over things is fun.

Difficulty: Hard
This game makes you think about what you are doing. If you screw up once in a battle it can mean the whole game. There is no button mashing for you button mashing fans out there. This game takes pure knowledge but sadly its not the hardest game I've play but it sure comes close. It ranks high from: Are you kidding?, Very easy, easy, decent, normal, rather hard, hard, extremely hard, and is this impossible?.

Overall:9.5
hhmm..*adds together 10,10,10,10,8,9 and divides by six* Well its 9.5 but I will round that to a 10. Overall this is a great game and if you like thinking instead of button mashing than this game is for you. If your a rotk fan then you would probably like this game. If you have no patients at all then don't buy this game. Buy/rent? Buy it, for the reasons above but if you are a dynasty warriors fan then you might want to rent it first.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/01/04