Review by JonWood007

"I feel like I am watching a movie instead of playing a game..."

Last week I got Metal Gear Solid for $8. For that price, it is well worth it, but it is not a great game that would have been worth full price. This is my first MGS game I have played, and I feel that this game, along with the series is overrated. It's a good game, but I would hardly consider it a legendary classic.

Graphics- 10/10

The graphics on this game are amazing for the PS2. The people, environments, and cut scenes are very realistic and this is definitely one of the better PS2 games graphics-wise.

Audio- 10/10

Audio is also good. The gunshots and voice acting is excellent.

Controls- 5/10

This game feels like a screwed up version of Resident Evil 4. Why? Because while you can use your weapon while moving, you won't hit anything and you will end up stopping in going into first person view to do anything, which is a lot like Resident Evil 4. Also, the buttons are screwed up to me. Usually X is the action button for everything, but O, square, and Triangle are more action buttons than X. The controls just feel very weird...

Game Play- 13/20

The actual game play is decent. The game is a stealth game where you can't shoot everything that moves. When you run into guards and don't deal with them quickly and silently, you will run into more guards. Overall the execution seemed disappointing at first, but I grew accustomed to it. So why am I giving it such a low score? The plot. Why? IT IS TOO LONG! When I am playing a game, I want to do just that, PLAY A GAME. This game feels more like an interactive movie than a game. You start the game with a long cut scene, but that is not that bad. Most games have that. However, after the first hour, you are usually done with cut scenes and never have a cut scene that lasts more than say, 2 or 3 minutes tops. This game has cut scenes which can go up to 15 or 20 minutes long! Sometimes you play, you have a 5 minute cut scene. Then you have a 5 minute radio message. You can skip them, but then you won't understand anything in the game. So then you get back to the game. You go forward and cross a bridge or something. After crossing it you have ANOTHER 10 minute cut scene. Then since you're in a special radio proof room at one point you can't save your game. So you leave the room, and *gasp* ANOTHER 10 MINUTE CUT SCENE! Then you save your game. Then your girlfriend, who you call to save the game, will talk about relationship problems for 5 more minutes! Usually the game doesn't have this many cut scenes in a short amount of time like that, but there are points where it really is that bad. I want to play a game, if I want in depth plot, give me a movie. The plot isn't bad. It is just too in depth for a game.

Fun Factor- 16/20

Overall this game is pretty fun. Just be prepared for the long cut scenes.

Game Length / Replay Value- 13/20

This game is maybe 10 hours long, but it is padded out a lot by ridiculously long cut scenes. You probably only have around 6-7 hours of play time out of the 10 hour game.

Difficulty- 5/10

This game is too hard at first. The learning curve is EXTREMELY steep. After playing for like 15 minutes and dying like 10 times, I switched to easy. That is still kind of difficult for a newcomer.

Overall- 72/100

Overall this game is well worth the $8 or so you can get it for now. However, just don't expect it to be comparable to other games like Halo to Resident Evil 4.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/07

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (US, 11/12/01)