Review by DHoness

"Metal Gear Raiden - Still A Great Game, With Some Flaws"

Metal Gear Solid is a captivating game involving stealth action. Hideo Kojima, the creator of the series made a perfect game in which you use stealth skills instead of shooting skills. First of all, I've been a fan of Metal Gear Solid since 1990. This is when Metal Gear Solid 2: Solid Snake was released. I bought Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action (The original version of Twin Snakes for GameCube fans) for PC. Either way, enough of my MGS background and more onto the game.

This quick review will be layed out in 5 sections:

Graphics
Controls
Story
Gameplay
Final Conclusion

The graphics in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty are truely outstanding and exceed most games made in 2005+. Since this game was made in 2001, the graphics are great. The work that was put into everything in this game is just amazing. Since every bit of the environment is chiselled to perfection, you won't be disappointed.

Controls: 8/10

The classic Metal Gear controls from the PSX version return, with first person view. My only rant about the first person view is how touchy the left analog stick is when aiming in first person. However, I am used to the touchiness and joystick smoothing of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance. If this is your first time playing this, you will easily get used to it. The controls sometimes can be touchy, but overall, you can get a good feel after the first hour of gameplay.

The story in Metal Gear Solid games are always amazing. The story in this game is great, however very confusing. I can usually follow the complicated stories in these games, but for this game, it is very hard to follow. For the amount of time that you actually play the game, about 45% of the time, I often skip the cutscenes. I ended up beating the game while watching them all, and racking up somewhere around 15 hours. The story is however very captivating and always leaving you wanting more.

The amazing gameplay in this game is incredible. One thing that I noticed that was a small flaw was the ability for guards not to hear your footsteps. They will hear it if you walk through a puddle, steel grating and any other loud ground. However, other than that, the 45% of gameplay that you do, you will enjoy every minute of it. Like most Metal Gear Solid games, you have to do alot of backtracking. Get used to knowing the areas, you'll need it. Also you'll need a node to see the radar. Good luck kiddies.

Final Conclusion: 9/10

This is an outstanding game for it's time, and still to date. If this is your first Metal Gear Solid game, spend the extra $5 and get Substance. It is worth it. If you like it so much, buy the original for PSX or PC. Then try Snake Eater.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (US, 11/12/01)