Review by dantdj

"Sneaking espionage action!"

OK, let's start with something I usually don't start with today. Graphics. For a game released on the PS2, in 2001, no less, this game has extraordinary graphics. Of course, nothing is as good as most PS3 titles, but it's obvious that Konami put some serious effort into this game's graphics. Sure, there isn't anything like the FMV in Square's Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts titles, but still…

The animations also tend to be top-notch. There's some little quirks in there (Like when you descend stairs pressed to a wall, your back leg lags a tad), but they are brilliant overall. The level of detail gone into the animations is also incredible, going up to even having a separate, more believable animation for going up stairs. It's the little things that join together that make this game truly impressive.

So, anyway, now we move onto the plot. Now, here's where the game gets interesting. It's Metal Gear Solid, and by now the franchise has been associated with quite complex plots, and this game is no exception. So, I'm just going to break it down a bit for you, give you the main points. So, you start of as Snake on a tanker, tasked with taking and sending pictures to Otacon about Metal Gear RAY. Or, on the other hand, you may find the game has gone a bit weird and started you off with Raiden, who's deployed in ‘Big Shell', an environmental clean-up facility, and tasked with finding the President and various other hostages and rescuing them from the terrorist group Sons Of Liberty. But, however, you'll go through some pretty major plot twists (And a MGS version of Ico…) before you reach the games end. Oh, and some conspiracy theories get thrown in for good measure. Like I said, complex. Also, be warned. If you don't like cutscenes, stay away from this game. Seems drastic, but most, if not all, of the game's story is presented through cutscenes. If you skip those, then you're left with just another game that blends into the crowd.

And of course, to complete the package. That all-important trump card. Gameplay. And I think it's definitely safe to say that this game has oodles of it. Despite the amazingly long cutscenes, this game still has plenty of memorable and damn-right enjoyable sequences. The ending sequences are brought instantly to mind, but there's some hefty spoilers that come across in describing it, so I won't. All you need to know is that this game promises “Tactical Espionage Action”, and boy does it deliver that.

Also adding to the overall atmosphere is the downright fantastic music. It perfectly complements the in-game action at all times. Kudos to them for that.

So, to draw this review to a conclusion, here are my final scores for this game.

Gameplay – 8/10. Everything flows together well, and it makes the game very enjoyable.

Story- 9/10. It just misses being perfect due to it being quite confusing, but this game's story is one of the best I've ever seen.

Replayability- 7/10. It's definitely one to replay, but you'll never get the full experience that comes with seeing everything for the first time ever again, which is part of MGS2′s greatness.

All in all, I think this game is one of the best I've ever reviewed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/06/10

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (EU, 03/08/02)