Review by ratm0071

"This game is good, but it's not what was expected."

First off, I would like to say that Metal Gear Solid 2 is one game that was over hyped, but lived up to many of the expectations. There are some points that show laziness throughout the game, but what game doesn't have those problems? I rented this game and beat it in two days with a friend (playing time of 10 hours including the videos).

GAMEPLAY - Gameplay is where this game shines. Wanna kill every guard you see? Go for it. Wanna silently get past a guard without being noticed? You can do that too. Konami took the basic idea for MGS and added to it in MGS2. In this sequel, you can do anything from the first installment, but they have also thrown in some new moves that become very useful. I especially like the idea of holding up a guard. One problem is that the game's playing time is far too short. Cinemas take over a HUGE part of the total time which is good if they at least give you chances to get into the game. But in MGS2, it seems like they wanted the player to do the bear minimum in order to beat the game. The bosses are easy, and there aren't enough of them.

-Positives:
*Many options to deal with guards
*Tons of ways to get around a situation
*Guards actually hide behind objects
*Having the option to not kill anyone

*Too short
*Not many boss battles
*Bosses are too easy
*Way too easy to beat

GRAPHICS - This is where Metal Gear Solid 2 shines. The many weather effects are spectacular. Also, the guards look real and pretty much everything is interactive. For example, if you shoot a guard's radio, they won't be able to call for backup. Also, explosions and fire look nice as well as fire extinguisher spray. A bad thing is that blood was over used. Especially in cut scenes where it looks like the person is a balloon filled with red liquid.

*Weather effects are great
*Peoples' motions look real (not rigid movements)
*Cut scenes are very good
*Weapons look realistic
*Water looks nice

-Negatives:
*Some effects are over used

STORY - The story is the major seller for MGS2. I think that it was done very well, but at times it seemed like the makers were just trying to over run the gamer with plot twists. The story is not something you would expect, but it is a nice change. I can't really go into details, but I can say that it all makes sense. The only problem is that it is all boggled up into a game.

*Makes sense
*Flows together nicely
*Many plot twists

-Negatives:
*At times there are too many plot twists
*the end of the game seems rushed

LASTING APPEAL - Metal Gear Solid 2 adds replay value through dog tags. If you collect a certain amount, you can unlock bonuses. But, a bad thing is that there are no multiple endings like the first one. After you beat the game, there is nothing else left to do. If you go through it again though and skip all of the cut scenes, you will really see how short it is.

*Unlock more items
*Can try a harder difficulty

*No multiple endings
*Game is short so you don't really get to play a lot

OVERALL - Overall, I think that MGS2 is a very good title. It provides the gamer with fun things that have not been tried in other games of its' genre, and it produces a fun experience.The only problem is its' length. I do not think this game is a good title to buy though unless you just have to have it. But, that really depends on personal preference. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

BUY OR RENT - RENT