Review by PS2 4 Life

"Sneakin' around in a box has never been so much fun!!"

Metal Gear Solid 2 is probably one of the most hyped games ever!! I know of about 15 people who bought the PS2 for this game alone. But, did the game live up to the hype? OH YES!! This game is awesome!! There is so much to do, and so many extra easter eggs in this game that you can tell just by watching the game how much work was put into it. I have been playing this game for about a week and here is what I think of this spectacular game.

Graphics 10/10-

Perfect!! The entire world is brought to life through the spectacular graphics it uses. From the rain dripping off the tanker floor to the wonderful veiws outside when you are in the plant. The characters and cutscenes look spectacular and the enemies look just as good. The way the guards move is so realistic that you believe you are watching an action movie. I didn't realize how good the game looked until I started taking pictures with the digital camera and seeing all the little details put into the background and the spectacular lighting effects. Overall, they are perfect and to date the best graphics I have seen on the PS2 or any home console for that matter.

Sound 10/10-

Spectacular!! This game has the best sound in any game in a long time!! The music fits the game perfectly! The wonderful theme song of MGS2 sticks in my head every time I hear it. Every part of the game has different types of music that fit the different section and every song is wonderful!! The voice acting in the game is EXTREMELY good!! Every bit as good as the first game(if not better). Every line is acted out perfectly and makes you think you are watching a hollywood movie instead of a videogame. The only thing that I was disappointed in about sound is that they took out my favorite line!! ''HUH?! Just a box!!'' CLASSIC!!

Story 9/10-

An excellent story told be SUPERIOR cutscenes. I don't want to ruin it for you because it is so good. The only reason I gave it a 9/10 is because on your first playthrough it can be a bit confusing!! But, on the next playthrough it should make a lot more sense. Overall, it is one of the greatest stories in a videogame for a LONG time.

Control 9/10-

The game controls very smoothly and works great with the game. It improves on everything that I had a problem with in MGS except one thing. They added in a first person perspective which makes aiming much easier and allows you in interact with your environment MUCH MUCH more. They have a cartwheel and dive to avoid attacks. You can also peek around a corner to shoot one quick shot, hang onto guard rails, hold people hostage, hold people up, and much, much more!! The only think they didn't change(and the reason it got a 9 instead of a 10 on control) is the sniper rifle. I hate it!!!! If you try to aim the gun keeps moving!! It is a pain in the butt!! I know they are trying for realism, but c'mon, when you are playing Extreme and ever second counts you need to hit the guy once you start aiming and not mess around trying to get the gun to stay in one place. Anyway, the control is pretty good except for that one minor gripe(since you don't use the sniper rifle much anyway).

Gameplay 10/10-

Oh yeah the core of the game is gameplay, and Metal Gear Solid has enough gameplay to last you a long while!! This game has it all!! Action, stealth, and style!! You can interact with just about anything in the environment. Hide in a locker to avoid enemies, throw a dead body of a ship, hide bodies in lockers and toilet stalls, distract the enemies with adult magazines, strap C4 to soldiers backs and watch them explode, snipe people with a tranquilizer gun, hide in a box to avoid enemies, dress up like an terrorist to make them think you are one of them, etc.. And that is only scratching the surface of what you can do in this game. The enemies also have improved AI. Anyone that has played the first MGS knows that the enemies were quick easy to fool and were quite stupid at times. Now they attack in groups. They will call in for backup, bringing in about an attack team of about 4 or 5 people armed with shotguns and bullet shields. They can be quite a handful on the higher difficulty levels. They also can spot shadows and don't fall for things as easy as the first one. For example, if they see a box in the middle of a room with no boxes they might get suspicious and go to check it out. It makes the game much more challenging and fun to play.

Also, the boss fights in this game are fun and action packed. On the higher difficulties I found myself playing them hours at a time because they were so hard. Boss fights range from a maniac placing C4 everywhere forcing you to disarm it before they explode and blow up the entire roof to a harrier firing HUGE amount of missiles at you while running from machinegun fire. Every boss is cool and has a different pattern to learn. Some of the most enjoyable fights ever seen in an action game. On par with and at times passes the boss fights in Devil May Cry.

The game also has multiple difficulties so you can have a real challenge once you master the game on normal mode. These difficulties range from very easy where you get tons of rations and weapons and there are only a few enemies that can be EASILY disposed of to hard, which has challenging enemies, you can only hold a few rations, you have less ammo and different parts of the games have different things you must do to complete them. There is also a difficulty after you beat the game called Extreme which is EXTREMELY challenging. This mode is only for the hardcore MGS player and is extremely difficult. I found myself using over 300 continues before beating the game, but I had fun with every minute of it. In this mode the bosses are EXTREMELY tough with moves that at times can kill you instantly, room are filled with enemies that are more alert, you can't find rations-you have to find them on enemies and can only hold 2, and you barely have any ammo for your weapons. It is extremely tough, but extremely fun at the same time. Action games need to be challenging to be any good.

Replay Value 9/10-

There is plenty of things to do in this game. From the multiple difficulty levels to unlocking secret items via collecting dog tags from enemies in the game. The game is also extremely fun to warrant repeat playthroughs. You can also skip cutscenes with a push of a button so you don't have to wait through every playthrough(though they are still awesome. You should find yourself coming back to this game time and again!!

Overall 9.7 out of 10-

This game is awesome!! If you own a PS2 go get this game NOW!! It is the best Stealth Action game ever made and is a work of art in every way. Now, I have to go because I have to go strap some C4 to some terrorists back. So long!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/23/01, Updated 11/23/01