Review by joshx42

"All video games are pitiful compared to Metal Gear Solid 2."

(NO BIG SPOILERS!) All video games suck compared to Metal Gear Solid 2. That is the strongest, most gratifying statement I could have made about this game, and there it is. MGS2 is so outstanding, so brilliantly designed, nothing stands up to it. My favorite series, the Syphon Filters, gets knocked down with a few Stinger missiles by this game. Perfect.

Storyline: 20/10

This is where it all comes together. Never before, in any book I've read or movie I've seen, has there been a better plot. Don't heap me with criticism- as of Thanksgiving 2001, that is what I believe. MGS2 has so many of those ''moments'' that will literally make your jaw drop down (do you have any idea how hard it is for that to happen to me?) that if there are no more PS2 Metal Gear Solids, MGS2 has a great chance of being the best game on the system. Solid Snake is at his best, and although you may want to see him even more than you do, it's possible to forget that in the haze of everything. The only possible criticism in the world I could give the storyline is that the last plot twist needs more refining and explaining, as it is the topic of heavy criticism on the MGS2 board.

Nearly as good as the storyline. You won't understand until you've fought an armored guy on roller skates, participated in a sword battle, or shot Stingers at a Harrier, or many other brilliant moments. The first-person view makes things SO MUCH BETTER than the original game that it can't really be described. The weapons are plentiful, although a couple more new ones would've helped, and the puzzles, rare however, are brilliant, my personal favorite figuring out how to pass a retinal scanner. The gameplay is the second best part of the game, and when storyline and gameplay have combined for the top two, that's the start of something good.

Control: 10/10

A great control scheme. I never once had any problems finding buttons in the heat of battle or when sneaking past an unsuspecting guard, and there isn't anything to complain about here.

Difficulty: 10/10

Providing you with five difficulty levels, the difficulty has been well-refined by the new node-access for radar on the higher difficulties. Not thrown in at the last minute like the first game's difficulties, and works well, considering the game's short length.

Length: 9/10

Longer then the first Metal Gear Solid, but not by much. The tanker episode REALLY needed to be longer, because the rest of the game combined still doesn't add up to what it needed to be. Should have added a couple more gameplay parts after the last boss, and as I said, DEFINITELY should've made the tanker longer.

Replay Value: 11/10

I beat the first Metal Gear Solid exactly twenty-three times so far, and since Metal Gear Solid 2 is so much more fun, with a highly improved storyline, the replay value has been pushed upwards to insane levels. Although the replay doesn't come from things like the lounge in the demo, because the rooms in the rest of the game haven't been perfected like that, the replay comes from the simple phonomenality of the whole game. Untouchable.

Rent/Buy: BUY!

IF YOU OWN A PS2, I DON'T CARE HOW OLD YOU ARE OR IF YOU'RE BROKE, YOU BETTER DO WHAT YOU CAN TO BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the best video game ever made, for any system, ever. Hideo Kojima and his team have sacrificed three years of their lives so we could own it. They deserve $50 of your money for the astounding, amazing, nearly undescribable job they did. Don't think- buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/25/01, Updated 11/25/01