Review by wutai2nd

"Snake's the man to beat 007."

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY Review April 9, 2004
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Genre = Action/Stealth/Shooter
System = PS2/Xbox

INTRODUCTION-General Medal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty information

Well I finished this wonderful game about a month and a half ago, and I must say that it was well worth the measly ten bucks I gave for it. I got about fifteen hours of gameplay from it, that may not seem like much, but every minute of it is enjoyable. Honestly, if I were you, I'd get up from my computer, drive to the nearest video game store, and buy myself a copy, although you might want to beat the first Metal Gear Solid game first, (I made the mistake of beating the 2nd one first.) which I must say is a quite excellent game also, you should try it out if you haven't already, I give it an eight and one half of a point myself.
If you are not satisfied after you beat both Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid 2, the you might want to drive down to the nearest video game store and pick yourself up a copy of Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, which I give an eight and one half of a point also. Well then, now that I'm finished talking about things that are related to Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, but not about it, let us get on with the review already, shall we?

SOUND/MUSIC 9.5/10 Simply Put, Music to My Ears, Literally

If you get this game, which you absolutely should, put it in your PS2, or X-box as it may be, and be sure not to press any buttons, because the intro music is awesome. Well anyway, the music is very fitting, and sounds very good. The voice acting is also very good for a video game. The only reason the sound didn't get a ten is because the really good songs don't play enough, but when they do play, they are very enjoyable. The sound also is very good, all of the weapons have their own, recognizable sounds, which are all quite realistic. I really am thinking about getting the sound track, and it's a rare thing for me to buy any music at all. The Metal Gear Solid Games always have been successfull in blending the music in with the gameplay perfectly, for a truly magnificent game, and, well, Hideo Kojima, although not the composer, has once again placed every bit of music in its perfect spot. Good job Hideo. A great job by all of Konami's staff involved in musical composition and musical placement. I could never get tired of saying that, so once again, good, no, very good job.

GRAPHICS 9.5/10 All Addicted to Eye Candy PLAY THIS GAME!

I pretty much said everything in the rating, but seriously, this game has better graphics than a heck of lot of more recently made PS2 games. They aren't perfect, but very close to it. I mean, the only thing with better graphics is Final Fantasy X, but it's visuals aren't that much higher up on the scale. Unlike in other games, Metal Gear Solid 2 is filled with tiny little details, such as employee tags with the worker's photograph on them. Trust me, if you rate games mainly on their graphics, this one is for you. Or if you don't rate games mainly on their graphics, then this game is still, most definately for you. I have looked, over and over for any really noticable blockiness or unfitting textures, but I simply can not find any. The visuals in Medal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (and Medal Gear Solid 2: Substance, of course) really, very much so are, extraordinary, pushing the Sony Plastaytion 2 to its limits.
All in charge of graphics in Konami, I, and many other crazed Metal Gear Solid fans thank you. A whole dang lot.

STORY 10/10 A Story On Par With Final Fantasy Seven's Story

The plot is better than many RPG's that I've played, and even better than Final Fantasy 6, and on par with Final Fatasy 7's story, which, many of you will probably say is not true...
...It is a very futuristic story with good character development, and surprising twists (very surprising, indeed) that will keep you hooked until the end of the game. Some people say it is too confusing, but do not listen to them, they are just stupid. Well actually, if you aren't very intelligent, then maybe, you might not like Metel Gear Solid 2's story. :-> It is a little confusing once you finish the game, but if you sit down sometime, and just think, then I bet that you can pretty easily figure it out for yourself. (Hopefully for your parents, because, considering the fact that your generation will be the leaders of tomorrow, the future of their lives depends on it!) Very good job, indeed, story writers, and script writers of Konami.

GAMEPLAY 10/10 The Best Part of The Game, Is Really King

Finally, the best part of the game, the gameplay.
Well, as in most stealth games, you try not to let the enemies see or hear you. You can do everything from stuffing enemy bodies into lockers, to hanging onto the sides of bridges in order to avoid unfriendly confrontation, or even putting on disguises of your foes.
The thing about this game though, is that if you are seen, you actually have a chance at taking out the enemies.
With your bare fists, handguns, automatics, grenades, and a sword all the way up to rocket launchers, there's no reason you can't ''get rid of'' a few ''baddies,'' and have a heck load of fun at the same time, now is there? This game's gameplay is at the top of my list for third person stealth shooters. When it comes to just games in general, this game is at the top of my rather long list. (with absolutely terrible grammer) It takes a lot to make it high on my list, I really like pretty much all kinds of games, but stealth is my favorite kind of game, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is my favorite stealth game. Ever.. EVER...

REALISM 8/10 Move Over Tom Clancy, Kanomi Is Coming To Town

Well here we are, the part of the game that makes it so realistic,
the realism (obviously). Stay out in the rain too long, get a cold, get a cold, sneeze, sneeze, guard hears you. Walk in water, feet get wet, feet get wet, you leave footprints, you leave footprints, guard sees them, guard sees them, guard follows them, guard follows them, you are in trouble. I would continue on with that rediculous style of reviewing, but it was getting on my nerves. Okay, well, anyway, if you shoot steam pipes steam comes out and reveals infared lasers, and you can do a lot of other realistic stuff that I don't remember. Anyway, it's probably one of the most realistic game of its genre ever. Okay, okay, so I do remember those other things, I was just feeling too lazy to tell you, but if you insist, then I guess that I must. Well to start off with, if you are on a bridge, and you see a guard coming your way that you just don't want to fight, or if you are running low on health or ammo, then you can jump down, and hang onto the side of the bridge until your enemy passes. Also, if you stay hanging onto the side too long, then you will fall off to your death. There is a meter at the top left showing you how long you can stay in hanging mode before you fall.
And get this, you can do pull ups to increase the amount of time you can stay in hanging mode before you fall. To end od off the realism section to one of the greatest video games of all time, I would like to say, Dang this on dang realistic dang video game!

CONCLUSION 10/10 If You Are Allergic To Bad, Play This Game

Everything is absolutely great, third person stealth shooters don't get any better than this. Not too hard, not too easy, good music that fits in well, good enemy AI, great gameplay, and an awesome plot = Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Tons o' guns = Tons o' fun.

Buy-Rent-Don't waste your time
Buy, definitely. It is worth every single dang penny you will spend on it (or should spend on it) and considering it is only ten dollars, even the most low paid people (like me) can afford it, just make sure that you are allowed to play it though, since it does have the unreasonable in my opinion rating of M.
To close this review off, I would like to thank everyone who made this possible, hmm, it seems that the only two people that fit properly into this category are myself, and my keyboard.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/04