Review by AlucardX

"A lot of fun for a while, but it soon gets old"

On October 26th 2000, the Playsation 2 came out. Some were lucky to get it, some were not. I was not, but my friend was. When he got it, he invited me, and a bunch of other people over to play the first game he got, which was Unreal Tournament. We played it for about 6 hours straight, and we all thought it was amazing. A week later, when we went over his house to play it again, something was different, the game had lost it's touch, and simply wasn't as amazing as it was before.

Unreal Tournament is one of the most popular first-person shooters on the PC. It was ported to the playstation 2 with mixed results. The main problems with the port were that:

1)The standard control was awful, we all had to change it to our likings

2)Infogrames didn't include the single player version of Unreal, there really is no depth whatsoever in the single player mode that they gave us, just boring missions like capture the flag and kill all your enemies, which can be fun, but not too much fun alone.

The main fun of Unreal Tournament lies within it's multiplayer. 4 players can go head to head in a bunch of multiplayer games like deathmatch and capture the flag. My personal favorite is capture the flag, which is really intense and will keep you on the edge of your seat unlike any other multiplayer I have played on any console before it.

When you play Unreal Tournament for the first time, you will absolutely love it. Blasting your friends to bits has never been so much fun on any console. Unfortunately, it looses it's touch. This is because you, and all of your other friends will just get bored. Once you see all the levels, all the features, you will just get bored. We tried to like it as much as we did before, but we just didn't, if you don't believe me, rent it and see for yourself.

Also, Infogrames didn't include a level editor. Not too much of a big deal to me, but rival FPS Timesplitters, which I have yet to play has one. This may be something to think about when you are deciding which one you want to purchase.

In all, Unreal Tournament is a must have for any FPS junkie. It is alot of fun while it lasts, but everyone will see that it will unfortunately loose it's charm. I recommend playing it on PC first, because this is only a direct port from it. Also, I recommend renting Timesplitters with it, just to see which one is better, and more worthy of a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/30/00, Updated 12/30/00