Review by wets_niarb

"Play it on the Nintendo 64 instead."

Wets Niarb Review 1: James Bond 007 in Agent Under Fire.

The game "Goldeneye 007" for the N64 came out years ago, and many people consider it to be one of the best FPS games out there. With it's addictive multiplayer, great controls, and killer levels, how couldn't you? I'll never forget the memories of playing this game on multiplayer with my old friends, Turner and Eric. Or all the good times when my older brother, Shris, would lose his mind when he couldn't beat the Antenna Cradle on 00 Agent. Now, after such miserable 007 titles as "Tomorrow Never Dies" for the PlayStation being thrown to the wayside, there is finally a credible 007 game on the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. Naturally, it would be better, right? After all, the disc format is greater than the cartridges, the sound and music would be better, and gameplay would evolve with stronger hardware. Is it as good or even comparable to 007 on the N64? Read and find out.

Graphics

The graphics aren't the best you'll get from the PS2, but are decent. There are different kinds of guards, but not unlimited different kinds. So, like in the N64 title, guard's faces repeat after awhile. Environments are sorta good, but nothing to wet your nappies over. The weapons have a lovely shine to them, but they aren't extremely good. There are nice explosion effects, like when a bus crashes into the gate. So, graphics earn one point.

Sound/Music

Here's something nice, the sound effects in this game are a huge step from Nintendo 64. Which is good, because I'd be awful frightened if they weren't. The grunts and groans from the guards when they are shot are diverse and pleasing, and the footsteps are real. Not that the footsteps are important or anything. The music is also good, with songs in the levels being fitting and all. With the CD format, the sound and music are crisp and clear, and sound great in Surround Sound. So I'll give Sound/Music two points.

Controls

ARGH! Here's the part that sucks! The controls in this game are confusing and putrid. You have to use the D-pad to switch weapons, and the X button to shoot. Why the hell couldn't you have just mapped the shooting to the R1 button or something?! It's horrible to get used to all this unusual junk. What the heck we're the developers thinking when they made these ridiculous controls?! I've had easier times controlling my dog on a leash. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get used to these friggin' controls. The controls earn 0 points.

Gameplay

Despite crap controls, the gameplay is pretty similar to Goldeneye. It's still the same objective-based shoot-'em-up we learned to love. The level design is pretty good, since you can now use the Q-claw to get into air vents, and the Q-Laser to burn off locks. It's a little more complex this time around, with you being able to sneak better thanks to the stronger hardware and framerate of the PS2. But, the controls make the action frustrating. I swear to you, I can't count how many times I was killed because I was trying to get a weapon with the stupid D-pad. The multiplayer saves it from sucking completely, because mp is frickin' sweet, like Goldeneye. The gameplay gets one point.

Replay Value

The game has some replay value because of the scoring system they added in. If you get enough points, you earn cheats and neat weapons for multiplayer. But, since gameplay and controls are the pits, there's a number of players that won't bother. In fact, most folks that have reviewed this game would agree. Replay Value is one point.

Overall, this game is not totally vile, but will never live up to the namesake of Goldeneye. The controls suck, the gameplay is sub-par, and the graphics don't impress. If you want a great shooter, get Halo, Half-Life, Doom, something. Anything but this. It's barely worth a rental. Five out of Ten.

Wets Niarb Review 1: James Bond 007 in Agent Under Fire.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/06