Review by Ml007

"Bond is back and better than ever!"

When I bought Agent Under Fire I had my doubts. It was getting some bad reviews from web sites. But I gave it a chance (partly because I enjoyed the previous 007 games) and I am glad I did. AUF is up there with Goldeneye as the best Bond game ever made. Here are my reasons why:

This is the one area where AUF could use some improvement. The mission designs are better that any previous Bond game but EA messed up with the difficulty of the game. Almost everything in the game on Operative skill level (think Agent from Goldeneye, but even easier) is pointed out the you, and it gets to the point where you wish that they would just let you take the time to figure it out by yourself. Also a bad thing is that sometimes you can nail a guy right in the chest with a sniper rifle and he won't go down. Kind of dumb. But the design of the levels is so great that it almost makes up for the detractions. The rail levels with cars and tanks that are so fun it will keep you playing them over and over. The 1st person action is also fun with great replay value. The game took me about 6 hours to complete.

Controls: 8/10
I felt that I had to make this a category, since the control settings (which are preset and you can't change) have been blasted on the message boards. But really, they are not so difficult to get used to, and once you do they are fun and easy to use.

Since EA made the entire story up, unlike the previous Bond FPS, I would have to say that they did a good job with creating a fictional story from scratch. The story is entertaining but not overdone. It is consistent with the Bond formula, I will just say that.

It really doesn't get much better than this. All the graphics are so perfect that you feel like you are playing a movie. The only problem is that when you are in a fire fight with like 15 guys all around you, SOMETIMES it slows down the frame rate, which you can't really fault the game for. But overall the game is smooth and crisp.

Multi-player: 9/10
This is one of my favorite multi-player games ever. ALMOST as good as Goldeneye but not quite. The only bad thing is that there are no AI bots, like in TWINE for N64. That means that you have to play multi-player with someone else, which kind of sucks but you will get over it because that is the only bad thing that keeps the rating a 9 instead of a 10. But on to the positives. You can use a variety of weapons and gadgets, and with the insanely fun settings it is really fun. 4 player action with a multi-tap is very fun also.

Controls: 8/10
Multi-player: 9/10

So overall I would say that Agent Under Fire is a great game. It has its strengths and weaknesses but is really a fun and enjoyable game. Rent it first and then you will want to buy it. That's what happened to me.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/28/01, Updated 11/28/01