Review by YanaMan

"Definately not worth the $50"

Introduction

This is one of the games that I bought because it just looked good on the cover. Don't let the cover fool you, this game isn't very great.

This is one of the only James Bond games that wasn't made based on a movie. The story is simple. You have to stop some evil terrorist masterminds from destroying the world.

Gameplay 6/10

This game is fun to play the first time through, and that's about all you'll be playing it. It has 12 different levels and 3 difficulty levels, none of which are very challenging. You unlock different items to use throughout your missions by earning a certain amount of points, collecting the various 007 icons in each level, or both. The difficulty level determines the amount of bonus points that you'll get after completing a mission. There are 2 things to unlock in each level. The range of things that you can unlock goes from hidden weapons to new cars to multiplayer items.

There is a huge amount of weapons and gadgets in this game. They range from handguns to sniper rifles to rocket launchers. You have many gadgets including a laser for cutting through locks, a grappling hook that launches out of your cell phone, and a decryptor that hacks into computer systems.

The enemy personnel in this game aren't too bright either. At some points they seem to be smarter than in others, but overall, they aren't very challenging to get rid of.

A good thing about this game is that every mission isn't just like the last mission. There are a few missions that you have to drive a car and destroy something or chase someone/something down. Also, there are rail missions. Rail missions are missions where someone else is driving while you are busy shooting other vehicles and people.

On the other hand, the multiplayer part of this game is the best part, once you've unlocked all of the extras. In multiplayer mode, you fight against another player or other players. There are, however, different modes in multiplayer mode.

One such mode is simply fighting each other. You score and lose points by killing other people and/or being killed. There is also 2 different ways you can win. One way is by setting the timer to a certain time and whoever has the most points when time runs out wins. The other setting is when one player gets to a pre-set amount of points he/she wins. Another mode for multiplayer is called ''Escort''. One player's job is to protect a certain VIP while the other player(s) try to kill him.

Story 8/10

This game has a good storyline. In this game, you have to stop some evil masterminds from taking over the world. In the first mission, you have to infiltrate a research facility and save another agent. This agent will give you some information as to where the terrorists are keeping their supplies and what they plan to do. The story is hard to go into without divulging spoilers. The developers of this game did a good job, considering they didn't have a movie to go on for inspiration.

Graphics/Sound 8/10

It lost a few points here because the game takes a while to load and the graphics aren't as great as they could or should be. The loading time was big and the graphics didn't make up for that. The levels are huge, but the graphics suffered because of this.

The sound, however, was great. I think the sound in this game was almost as good as it could get. I just imagine if I had surround sound speakers hooked up while playing this game. It has the best sound of a lot of other games that I've played on my PS2.

Play Time/Replayability 4/10

This game gives about 10-12 hours of playing time, plus more if you play multiplayer. I think that they should've either added more missions or made the missions much harder. Since there are only 12 missions, this area lacks tremendously.

I replayed this game once and haven't played it for a good 6 months now and it's just sitting on my shelf. I was thinking about making a FAQ for this game, but it honestly wasn't worth the time and effort. The game only takes 9-10 hours for replay.

Final Recommendation

I gave this game a 5 because of all the places that it could've been much better. I wouldn't recommend buying this game, however, I do recommend at least renting it.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/03, Updated 02/16/03