Review by wolverinefan

"One of the first role playing games on the PS2"

Story
Orphen, being promised all the money that is owed to him, boards a ship that is bound for a city where a job awaits him. Orphen and his friends end up getting on the wrong boat and it gets attacked by a sea monster and sinks. Orphen finds himself on Chaos Island. There is a total of four different story lines, one for each character and after you beat their stories a new one becomes playable where all three are in your party. The stories are interesting and the characters all have different personalities. I give story a 8/10

Control
Control is kinda confusing and takes a while to get use to. There are three sets of controls, normal, free battle and other battle. It gets confusing cause you never know what setting you will use next. Control is also unresponsive in places and it makes it a pain to do simple things like swing sword. I wish they would have just stuck with one setting through the whole game. I give control a 5/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
The voice acting is okay but could have been a lot better. Orphen's voice is the only one that fits him, he sounds like a jerk and he is one. Some characters have horrible voices like the kid you got Orphen on the wrong ship sounds like a 40 year old. The sound effects are on the bad side. Swinging blades sound nothing like swinging blades. The waterfalls and the sound of you feet on different things all sound good but thats about it. There is NO music which I didn't notice till I was half way though the game. The game doesn't really need music cause the surroundings set the mood. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 5/10

Game Play
Game play is a mixed bag. Solving the puzzles are fun but battles are painful. There is two different kinds of battles, one where you can move freely and dodge attacks and the other has you standing in one place and attack. Te battle system where you just stand there doesn't make sense and it makes the boss battles hard cause of some control issues since you can only attack with your sword when they are right beside you and magic doesn't always work on guys. Another problem is you can't skip cut scenes so if you die you have to go through all that talking and there is a ton of talking. You can save only at certain times which makes sense but makes the game even harder. I give game play a 5/10

Replay Value
The game is kinda long and seems even longer when you die and have to go through a bunch of talking all over again. There is a movie book and a monster book which is cool but nothing special. There is no reason to play the game after beating all four story lines. I give replay value a 6/10

Final Score
I give Orphen: Scion Of Sorcery a 6/10

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/07

Game Release: Orphen: Scion of Sorcery (US, 10/23/00)