Review by DarkPhoenix47

"Good Graphics, but....."

When I bought NHL 2001 for Playstation 2, I was hoping for a hockey experience. What I got was a mediocre hockey game that depends on its graphics way too much. Granted, graphics are a good thing, but gameplay must strive to match. Sadly, NHL 2001 did not do these things.

GAMEPLAY: 3/10
Unfortunately, NHL 2001 does not have the gameplay factor on its side. Boring and dull games take place over your playing time. I contribute this to the difficulty level. On Rookie, it is too easy, on Pro, it is still fairly easy, and on All-Star, it may be difficult for some, but the main dimmer is that too many goals are scored.

That, in a nutshell is what is wrong with this game. How fun is it to blow out the other team by four or five goals? Ok, bad example. But how fun is it for the hardcore gamer, desperately trying to have decent competition, when they win every game by a blowout? In my games, I found myself trying to play badly just so the other team would catch up. That is not my idea of fun.

The controls, however, are decent, as in most hockey games, but in some situations, it can be frustrating. For instance, you try to pass to a team mate and end up passing the puck to the other team, and then you have to chase them, but of course, you are too slow. And for those players who use the ''Auto'' features, scoring a goal can be as easy as just trying to pass the puck to your team mate. EA really has to rethink this strategy.

STORY: 10/10
You play hockey [Which is always fun].

SOUND/GRAPHICS: 10/10
The graphics, as I already said, are great, a major step up from every other hockey game [obviously]. As for the sound, it is always great, but the announcing must be improved [it is bland, at best]. The announcers sound like robots, and it gets annoying to hear the same comment five or six times a game.

REPLAYABILITY: 8/10
The replayability is always good, although different than other games. It is much more for the casual gamer, who can just pop it in when in the mood for some old fashioned hockey.

BUY/RENT:
This is your call. You may want to buy it, which is what many do with sports games, and many people don't rent sports games [I don't]. If you must know my honest opinion, though, I would rent it to try it out, or just wait for the next edition to come out. Hopefully, EA will get the formula right in that game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/01, Updated 10/08/01