Review by Casanova973

"London Crime at Its very best"

Okay, now, this is a bloody good game, but after playing about fifty better games after it, I am not sure if this is a good game to buy. I mean, game's don't get worse, but other games do get better. Now, right now, I don't think very much of this game, but I know that when it first came out, it was an addictive and amazing game that could have been so much better. The game HAD good graphics, excellent story, and brilliant replay value.

Many people who have not yet played the getaway try to compare it with the two GTA games. Well, you will be disappointed if you try and compare this to any of the grand Theft Autos, the game is just so much different. Set in London, many different aspects of gameplay are different, it is not always free Roam, and the list goes on for ever. Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that it goes without saying that this game is different to any of the Grand Theft Autos. if you want a Vice City clone, you'll have to look somewhere else, because when you play it you will be amazed when you see how much difference there is between the two games.

Anyway, on with the review:

If this game was released about six months earlier, the graphics would be SO amazing. But as the game was released late, everyone's seen these graphics before in other games. I'm not saying that the graphics are bad, but I'm saying that these graphics are used a lot in other games. There is a MASSIVE amount of detail to the character's faces and body, but there facial expressions don't seem to change a lot. If they turn their head, you will see how much the graphics need to improve because their head move out of time with their body. This is bad and needs fixing. Another good example of the graphics is the cars. The cars have so much detail in them, and they look so realistic. The wheels aren't too big for the car, which is a big problem with other games, and there are so many added details to the cars. Well, what i hoped to get at you is that the graphics are damn good, but they are too familiar with the gamers out there and there are a couple of glitches that need sorting out.

There's not much I can comment about this game's sound, because there is little sound to hear in the game. There are no radio stations in the game, and the music is just chosen randomly. The music is still great, and it is perfect for a game called "The Getaway," because it is getaway music. It is quite up-beat and fast and it is very catchy. The music in this game has no lyrics. As you would guess, this game has sound affects, but not very good ones, especially when you are in the car. If you crash, you will hear a window smash about 1 second after you hit the other car. Now, that might be a little exaggerated, but it does sound like that. Also, another big part of the sound is the speaking. Every character in the game gets a little speech, some more than others. The speech in this game is spoken by real humans (yay! Humans). There is a lot of speech in this game, so you need good actors playing big roles, and that's exactly what this game has, good voice actors.

This game has very different gameplay to other games such as vice city. The controls are changed and a lot of other things have been changed. The gameplay for this game is really good, there's no doubt about it. I can only think of some glitches in this game, a good sign. Most game's like this have a lot of glitches but it looks like the makers of this game focused quite hard on the glitches, i'm glad about that. There are many good things about the gameplay for this game, and there are way too many of them to list right now. Maybe if the graphics were a tiny bit better it would help a little with the gameplay but I don't think that is a very bad issue at all. With some mistakes in the gameplay, it gets an eight, but there are still many more good things than bad things in this game.

A real good storyline. Just amazing. The best part of the game. There are minor parts of the story that may have done better but none of them add up to losing a mark on the review. The story is played by two different sides of the story, an ex-criminal and a vigilante cop. That in itself is a wonderful idea, but they made it as good as it could be. The two main characters in the game are both hunting down one man, and with an amazing twist at the end, there is not one reason you can argue with the story. The story gets a ten out of ten, because I feel that there are hardly any weak points in the story, maybe even none at all.

Replay Value: 8/10
You can replay levels in this game, but there is not much point. The replay value is good but the game isn't very good when you just play one single level. The game is so much better if you play through all of the story missions one by one, but all of the levels are long, hard, and really good, you just don't feel the need. There is a Free Roam mode you can unlock at the end of the game which allows you to travel freely all over London, I think that is perfect for an ending of a game.

A brilliant gangsta theme game. I think after long years of hard work it has a decent outcome. Brilliant storyline helped this game out a LOT, but with good sound quality, good graphics, there is little that lets this game down. A must buy, if you rent it for a couple of nights, you will not get very far at all in the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/28/04