Review by jzbadblood

"It's finally here! But does it meet expectations?"

Introduction - Mafia was an outstanding game for PC in 2002. With superb graphics and gameplay, and a deep riveting story that kept you playing until the very end. Now the developer Gathering have taken almost two years to port it over to Playstation 2. How well did it fare? read below to find out.

Gameplay - Mafia plays alot like Max Payne. It has an overall decent control scheme, with only a few problems. You don't have much of an advantage over the AI, so this may cause some broken controllers for you angry gamer's out there. The problems I had were the controls were somewhat hard because the aim system isn't all that good, but at least it is there unlike in the PC version.

Score: 8/10

Story - Definitely one of the best story's in a video game yet. The game begins in the city of Lost Heaven, were the city is split up between two crime family's. You play as a taxi driver named Tommy, who somehow gets himself into the Saleri crime family. Throughout the game you will see plot twists, and backstabbing. The story itself is worth a purchase for fans of movies like Goodfellas.

Score: 10/10

Graphics/Sound - It looks pretty good for a Playstation 2 title, though you can look at games like Prince of Persia and say that they could have done better. I was disappointed in this area because this was one of the best looking games for PC back in 2002. I can't bash the sound though. Alot of jazz and old-fashioned style tunes do a great job of convincing you that you are dwelling in 1932. If your going to buy a game for the graphics, you wouldn't want to pick this one up.

Score 7/10

Play Time/Replayability - The game spans across 22 missions, some of which will take some time to complete. I would say about 10 hours worth of gameplay can be found in the main story alone. When you add the fact that they have included a free ride option where you can ride any of the cars you have unlocked in the story mode, it has almost endless replay value. Note the word almost because you will get tired of this quickly, and the racing mode is nothing to brag about.

8/10

Final Recommendation - If you are a die-hard fan of Mafia flicks and love movies like Goodfellas and The Godfather, I feel that you should purchase this almost immediately. If you are drawn in because you are a fan of the Grand Theft Auto games, you might want to rent before you make a purchase.

Overall - 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/04