Review by DawnoftheGamers

"A Continued Legacy?"

I couldn't resist buying the sequel to one of the most respected games in the market, Jak II. I could still remember everything about the Precursor Legacy, and the back of Jak II didn't strike me as a sequel to anything, it seemed like a completely new story. Still, I bought it.

Gameplay 9/10
This game has an awesome feel, you can explore any part of the map, almost. The arcade feel was somewhat lost in this game, you don't need to replay missions to continue playing the game. It's very easy, the controls from Jak and Daxter seems to carry on to this game. Punching and jumping is the same, but there are a few new things to control. You can fire guns, press the "R1" button; you steal and drive vehicles, press the "triangle" button to get in and press the "X" button to drive. Perhaps the best new thing in the gameplay is the hoverboard, get on using the R2 button, then you can move the same way you would on foot. You can pull of stunts too, though nothing impressive since this wasn't supposed to be a very important addition to the game.

Story 10/10
Although the story doesn't match up well with the Legacy, it's still flawless in my opinion. You start out as a young boy that is accidentally transported to another dimension with his friends. When you arrive in this dimension, you find you were expected, and apparently for some time...

You again get tied up in a relationship with a young girl, and the character must choose between his first love and a new girl (this is not a playable choice). You also save the world, again.

The biggest thing changed in this is that Jak can talk, it's strange to heat him speak if you just got finished with the first game.

Graphics 8/10
Awesome, the graphics could have been better, but they weren't bad.

Sound 7/10
The sound the guns made were great, but they didn't really match up with the flashes from them. The voices didn't seem to stray too much from the characters lips, but every once in awhile they did. The melee combat sounds remained the same in this game.

Playtime 8/10
This game could be beaten in a few hours, I prefer longer games, but, even though it could be beaten in a few hours the playtime is extended until the player gets bored. There is so much more to explore, and more to kill and interact with that getting bored here doesn't happen often.

Replayability 1/10
This is the one aspect that most affected my overall rating. While the playtime could be for days, the replay is boring. There is nothing new to find.

Final Recommendation
This game IS worth your money, as stated above, the only reason I gave this game a 6/10 is because the second time through the game is boring. The story is better than the first, but not as good as the third.

So, why is this game the second in the legacy? I could tell you, but that would ruin the third game for you. So sad, okay, I'll say this, without giving anything away, this game has nothing to do with the Legacy, on the surface...

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/07/11

Game Release: Jak II (Greatest Hits) (US, 12/31/04)