Review by Darklyte510

"Naughty Dog has another winner!"

Introduction:

Jak II is the highly anticipated sequel to Naughty Dog's Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy and what a sequel it is! Darker, funnier and most importantly, more fun then it's predecessor, this game delivers on every level.

I know that this is no excuse to write a horrible review but I would like to point out that this is only my second review and that I am still working on my writing skills!

Beautiful. That’s all that can be said. How they managed to create a game world of this magnitude while eliminating loading screens is beyond me. From the luscious outdoor environments to the scary sewers of Haven City, your jaw will never cease to hit the ground with a loud *thump*.

Nothing spectacular here, everything from your rifles to your punches sound exactly as they should while not doing anything above average.

Every area has it’s own unique theme that doesn’t detract from the overall gaming experience, with the exception of Haven City where I found it to be pretty repetitive.

At the outset of the game it appears to be your average revenge-driven story but as it unfolds, love, betrayal, friendship and many more themes work their way into the plot, without losing sight of the big picture. Everything in the plot makes sense, whether it’s the reason for which Jak finally talks in this game or why you sometimes run errands for the bad guys.

Fun, fun, fun! That’s what Jak II is! Saying that this game is a platformer just doesn’t do it justice. It’s a hybrid of action games, platformers, driving games, and even skateboarding games! Although it’s challenging, having infinite lives means that you can try all sorts of things to complete a goal and most of the time, there’s a trick to make a mission really easy, you just have to find it.

But what would a game be without great controls? Jak II’s control scheme is very intuitive. From the moment the controller is in your hands everything feels natural. Not to mention the fact that the response time is second to none. You press a button and it happens simultaneously on screen, which is key in a game like this, where jumping a split-second too soon or too late could mean one nasty headache.

Overall: 10/10 (not an average)

The only thing I have against this game is the fact that it’s so damn fun that I can’t let it go! It offers a wide variety of experiences to be had and delivers more laughs then the original. The only reason for you NOT to buy this game is if you hate, and by “hate” I mean: “completely despise”, yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/19/03