Review by White Flame

"A true successor!"

Introduction

It has been a while since I've played a platform game because I realised long ago that the only way that I can have a deep experience with a video game is if it was a Role Playing Game. A few years ago, when I received my PS2 for the first time, there was this hype about a game called Jak and Daxter. Mind you, the hype was huge, I looked at magazines to read all about it, but I was only mildly convinced. One day, I had some money to burn and I thought, I'll pick up this game and find out what the fuss is about.

That change my view on platforming gaming altogether...

Three years later after this experience, Jak 2 comes out and this is what I thought.

Naughty Dog took their time to create this piece, and I sure hoped it would be well worth it. I read some reviews on this board first before forking out my money for this game because it might have the bad sequel curse that I know of so well. After reading some, I was convinced- any score over 8 would have convinced me to buy it, so I did. I was blown away by the experience.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I figured I could give it an unbiased review already from what I've seen.

The game is set two years after its predecessor, where Jak and his friends travel through a precursor ring to a disheveled city.Jak is then captured and tortured with dark eco before being set free by Daxter, this is where the adventure begins.

The Story 8/10
The story seemed a bit cliche at first, but I've begun to really appreciate it as somewhat dark and sinister. I like it. The mission system is very similar to Grand Theft Auto, but set in the future with hovercrafts. I cannot really give it full marks because of this originality clause and the fact that I haven't finished the game, but it is shaping up to be special, and I'm hooked.

Graphics 10/10
I've seen a lot of games with exceptional graphics and this game is right up there with them. The reason why I gave this game a 10 is because every design aspect of this game has been thoroughly researched and developed before the final product. Something that I can relate to myself. Character design is unique, and minutely borrows from anywhere. The surroundings are perfect in creating a dark and atmospheric scenario that only compliments this game exceptionally well. My experience in this game really makes me feel like I'm in the game because of this. Surface textures are very suiting and everything has been polished from its predecessor. Animations are smooth and cutscenes are well executed.

Sound 9/10
I gave this a 9 because it does not bring anything new to the genre, but, for what it's worth, it suits the game quite well. Transitions from calm to alert mode is smooth as well as the beat that is added on when you board a hovercraft. The voice acting is believeable and the voices suit the characters they portray.

Gameplay and Innovation 10/10
Now this is the game's definite high point. The game offers a lot to anyone willing to take the challenge. I think the protect missions are quite fun. Some missions are hard and have a very steep learning curve, but once you pass the mission, you are pretty much a champion at it. For example, you have to get from A to B in 3 minutes, it seems impossible at first, but when you pass it, I can almost guarantee you that you will have become a novice at the art of racing. Naughty Dog is one clever company and from here on, I'm a follower!

Overall 10/10
The wait was definitely worth it. Naughty Dog has excelled in each aspect of this title. It is obvious how much work, thought, and development that went to this title and it definitely won't go to waste. It will also show once this game walks away with a few awards under its belt. I definitely recommend this to any gamer out there...this is golden stuff.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/27/03