Review by FoolishGamer

"Best in the series"

This is a review on one of the best Playstation 2 platform games. Jak II review by FoolishGamer.

Jak and Daxter, Jak II and Jak III. I played them all. This game is where the story line lays. I owned Jak and Daxter the Precursor Legacy and played it all the way through. Going from platform game to platform game it still didn't give me what it was I was looking for in that type of game. Jak II came out and I didn't even put it to mind because I remembered that I wasn't that pleased with the first game. Then Jak III came out and I was thinking maybe Naughty Dog touched it up a bit. I went to my local rental store and rented Jak II and Jak III because even though I didn't like the first game I didn't want to skip any story line or anything. I played them both and beat them both within a week. Jak II was so much better then my mind could even conjure up. Even after playing Jak III (which was also a good game) I still liked the 2nd one way better. Jak II is really where the series story line lays. After I rented it and beat it and brought it back, I went and purchased it the next day. I'm sure I'll get Jak III as well, but for now Jak II is taking up my time. Jak II brings you into an unreal environment that makes you wish it was real. Everything just pieced up so well together in Jak II. It's not "the best" platform game I played but it's way up there on my favorite platform game list. I just hope this review will help you out on your interest on Jak II. So here is my Jak II review....

The Characters:
Here are a list of most of the characters in Jak II. Jak, Daxter, Keira, Samos, Baron Praxis, Vin, Erol, Torn, Ashelin, Onin, Pecker (no pun intended), Krew, Sig, Kid, and Kor. You get to meet up with all these characters and each one has there very own personalities that makes them unique. They will make you laugh and sometimes make you mad. Each character was designed with such grace. Also the voice acting is very good. Naught Dog did very good with the games characters and you can tell that they spent time detailing all the nooks and crannies. Good job Naughty Dog!

Story 10/10:
The story line in this game was superb. Like I said above, the best ever out of the series. I'm not going to give out any spoilers in this review. I can say that the story in Jak II meshes with Jak and Daxter Precursor Legacy and Jak III. This game brings them both together in a way you couldn't even imagine. It is definitely the bridge between both games. You get all kinds of different abilities and there is a reason for them all. Some you will want to use and some you may not want to use. It all depends on the gamer. (you) Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and Jak III. How did Jak get to where he was in the Precursor Legacy and where are they going with this in Jak III? This game will definitely fill you in. If you played Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and didn't play Jak II and want to play Jak III. I'll tell you now, you will be missing a big hunk of story line and you will be confused. So I advise you to play Jak II before renting/buying Jak III. I give the story line in this game a fat 10/10

Graphics 9/10:
A Playstation 2's finest... Jak II's graphics are very neat, clean with no distortion. The graphics mix well with the games speed. Being that you are blazing on a hover car or sailing on your hover board, the graphics never once glitch up on anything. The world which was made really brings you into the game. The detailed lighting looks as it was placed with a lot of time and sweat. Also the cut scenes are worth watching over and over again. To me graphics isn't what makes a game, but Jak II is not lacking in the graphics area. I give the graphics a 9/10 (Not everyone will like it but most of you will)

Gameplay 9/10:
You get to walk around in a sort of GTA style city. You can hover in cars and avoid fighting (If not in a mission) or you could choose to fight your way through the map. People passing you up above in a hover car, hey why not grand theft auto them and take it as your own. Gameplay is awesome you can do pretty much anything you want to do if not in a mission. If you have ever played any of the GTA games, then you'll have an idea of what the gameplay is like. Jumping, fighting, racing, flying, hover boarding it's all good. I give the gameplay a 9/10

Sound 8/10:
The sound-effects are great though sometimes very repetitive. The music changes from level to level and is well made and thought up, but if you get stuck on a mission you will have to deal listening to the music over and over again and that can get old fast. So if you get stuck on a mission I suggest muting your T.V. until you get to the cut scene you want. From explosions to shooting, the sound effects are good but not great. I say that the cut scenes have the best sound in the game do to the great voice acting and well made characters. I give the sound a 8/10

Controls 9/10:
The Controls were very nice. Every button had a purpose. Also the camera angle stayed with the character in this game unlike a lot of games I played in the past. You tell Jak where to walk and he goes. You tell Jak to double jump and he does. I don't know about you but I like games that when you push a button to give your character a command he does what you want him to do. Every once in a while I notice that when you were wanting to switch hover car to hover car it would have a little trouble. Not much to get in the way though. When you are in races in a race bike the controls on the bike where excellent. You tell it to turn and it does and that is a big plus when you are going at that kind of speed. I give the controls a 9/10

Replay Value: 9/10
Does Jak II have good replay value you ask? Well like I said above. I rented this game then turned around and bought it. So yes, in my opinion this game has excellent replay ability. You can go around after beating the game picking up things you left behind. Like precursor orbs, metal head skulls and so on. Even if you beat the game with over 100% and got everything there is to get. It's replay value is still very good. You get to unlock cheats and that adds a lot more to your buck. I see myself playing this game again and again over the years. And for only 20 dollars you can't go wrong. I give the replay value a 9/10. Most of you will play it time and time again and some might not.

Overall 9/10:
Overall Jak II is one of the first platform games I have enjoyed in a long long time. Do I think it needs improvements? Not at all, this game is the best of its series. I give Jak II overall a 9/10. A game not for everyone but for most. To buy or to rent you say? Well I rented it and turned it back in so I could go buy it. So I definitely say this is a must buy Playstation 2 game. Thank you Naughty Dog for such a good game. Keep up the good work!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/07/04