"To Buffy fans. GET THIS NOW!!"

I got this game for Christmas, and when I first started playing it, i got hooked, really fast. Being a Buffy fan, it was inevitable I'd like it, but I didn't know that I would love this game. There is one flaw that's actually good, depending on how you look at it. The one made X-Box exclusive (Just called BTVS) plays exactly like Indiana Jones (Xbox, PS2) and this one plays like Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick (Xbox,PS2). Because of owning the latter, I easily got into the control. But on to the review.

Graphics (9/10)
The graphics are pretty good. The people look like how they look in the show, but they're a bit cartoony. The environments are excellent and have no flaws.

Sound (8/10)
Okay, the music and v/o's are some of the best I've ever seen, it's just Spike, Willow, and Anya that ruin it all. Since they couldn't get the real Buffy, Will, or Anya, they got sound-a-likes. The Buffy was good, as with the Willow, except that she sounds 4 years younger and the game is in the 5th season, and Anya, was bad. I said Spike up there because, although he had good one-liners and the real voice, you couldn't hear him speak. You can hear his grunts of hitting and being hit, but even with no music, you can barely hear what he has to say.

Gameplay (9/10)
The game plays like ED:FOB, like said above. Two attacks (square and X), action button (Triangle, taunt in ED), inventory (directional pads in CB, shoulder buttons in ED), jump (Circle, Chaos Bleeds only, defend in ED), Defend (L2 in Chaos), Camera control (right analog stick), and the use of guns with R buttons in CB. Sorry, I can't get over the similarities. The controls are easy to master and you'll love it.
The playable characters are Buffy, Willow, Xander, Spike, Sid the Dummy, and Faith. Buffy and Faith play identical, X and S play similar to them, Willow uses magic, and the Sid level allows punches below the belt until you get the hammer, which is the best wooden weapon, as it never breaks. The wood vampire killing weapons like stakes break over time, but if there's a wood piece of furniture around, try to break it and you can get a stake (you can hold 5). You also use flamethrowers, supersoakers (filled with holy water), swords, axes, shovels, bats, pool cues, etc..

Difficulty (9/10)
I like the chalenge of the levels, but bosses can be frustrating. As Xander, one boss (Anyanka, Anya's evil self) makes you have to plant rabbits on pentagrams to drain her power, dodge fireballs she throws at you, and when she falls from now power, beat her up as much as you can before two imps eat your (5) rabbits. The only problem with the levels is that you might sometimes run around in circles for an hour tryng to figure out what to do.

Well, I feel i can't say anything else, so leave and buy the game. NO WAIT, I GOT ONE MORE THING!

Story (10/10)
Since the game was backed by the creator and to wirters from the show, this had a really good Buffy-like story, making you feel like you're in the show. Ethan Rayne makes a deal with the First (very old evil) to give him power, but to set the heroes (every playable character except Sid) as his champions against those of the first, which include enemies from the show already dead, like Adam, Kakistos, and Anyanka. The gang then play by their own rules, then... game starts. Have fun, you will if you like action/adventure and Buffy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/04