Review by blablabla16

"Grand Theft Auto: Springfield"

So far every Simpson’s game has really sucked. Simpson’s Wrestling on PS1 was downright horrible and Simpson’s Road Rage was nothing more than a failed attempt at a crazy Taxi rip-off. Now we have Simpson’s Hit and Run the latest in a series of rip-off games with Simpson’s characters. But for the first time the game is actually fun.

This time the source of inspiration comes from Rockstar North’s Grand Theft Auto Series. But instead of playing as Tommy Vercetti or a no-name criminal you play as Homer Simpson, Bart Simpson, Lisa Simpson, Marge Simpson and Apu. I found the decision to make Apu a playable character a little weird. He is not a main character and isn’t even the funniest character outside of the Simpson family.

Of all the Grand Theft Auto rip-offs this on is the biggest. While games like True Crime and The Getaway try to separate from the GTA gameplay and try to be their own game this one doesn’t even try. It seems the developers main goal was to make this game as close to GTA as possible without getting an M rating. But the M rating made GTA fun. You can argue all you want that the violence didn’t make GTA fun but lets not kid ourselves. GTA wouldn’t have been half as popular if it weren’t for the violence.

This game is for anybody who liked GTA but couldn’t buy it or A Simpson’s fan. If you don’t fall into either of those categories quit reading right now you won’t like Hit and Run. If you are like myself and played both GTA: 3 and Vice City to death and got 100 percent in both this game will feel very empty. Yes there are many references to the 300+ episodes and you can drive around Springfield (as well as walk) but after you are finished with the first 3 levels you will have no incentive to keep going. You see the game has 7 levels with 7 main missions and 1 bonus mission each. But the game only takes place in 3 different parts of Springfield and there are only 4 different mission types which means the 50+ missions in the game gets repetitive. And once you’re done exploring the first three levels you will want to put this game away and never play it again. I had no motivation at all to keep trudging my way through. It just got boring.

The Music is done pretty well. It has various tunes taken from episodes of The Simpson’s.
The humor is done pretty well also. So in conclusion: Buy this if you want Grand Theft Auto minus the violence and hookers. If you are a Simpson’s fan buy the DVDs instead they are funnier and less boring. But if you are truly hardcore buy this and try to get 100 percent and have fun at the same time. It’s not possible. For all you who where like me and always wanted to explore Springfield rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/03