Review by bontey03

"Unleash Your Inner Ricer... In A Good Way!"

OK, so after a wait since Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 was released, we were treated with a new game to the NFS series. This game was called Need For Speed: Underground, and it had taken a new approach. Instead of having stock models of foreign and domestic (by domestic I mean U.S. cars) vehicles which you weren't able to tune up or such, we were given Japanese econo cars, and some American econo cars, that you were able to customize, stylize, and any other word that ends in ''ize'', your car. Sounds like a rice boys dream, right? Well, yes and no. Yes being you have stickers and such, and no being you can actually do stuff to your engine and chassis to make it faster, accelerate better, and corner better. Now, without further ado, the review. Hey, that rhymed...

New Features
There's quite a bit of new features, such as the aforementioned tuning and styling of your car. There's a new soundtrack, fit to race the type of ''scene'' this game aims at (which, if you haven't guessed already, would be street racing). The music isn't anything special, but hey, I can live with it, even the rap. There's a few modes that have been added in as well. They are Drag, Circuit(or is it Sprint?), and Drift, and they each have their own characteristics. Also, as mentioned above, they got rid of the super cars (well, I think that maybe the Skyline R-34 may be a super car, but we never know), and put in average every-day cars that you can tune up and make look cool.

Gameplay
Wow... All I can say is wow. This game will keep you sucked in for a good amount of time, let me tell you. There's enough track to keep you surprised, and with the new modes of play, you'll be playing for a massive amount of time. Add in the customization, and you have yourself at least 50+ hours of gameplay. Trust me. The races are difficult enough sometimes to keep you playing, so yeah, you'll be spending quite a bit of time on this game.

Pet-Sounds and Music
The engines, well, they sound terrific. Nothing can top it in this department. Hearing the pssshhhht every time you switch gears never sounded so realistic. The tire squeals, the scream of your engine as it revs like crazy, all of this god-like. The music, on the other hand, is good at times, but not too good at others. That's all I'll say for this.

Graphics
Has anything ever looked this good? No. OK, so maybe GT3 has, and GT4 will, but that's completely besides the point. The feel of going 160 MPH is life-like, and when you hit that Nitrous button, prepare to be blown away! The surroundings look very real, even though it's a made-up city. There may be a glitchy moment here and there, but that doesn't take anything away. The water effects are magnificent, and the roads shine with lustre. I love this game!

Overall
OK, so the game is street racing, with tons upon tons of options for your car, a wide array of races, all topped off with sweet looking graphics. A great game, definitely a buy.

Scores
New Features: 10
Gameplay: 10
Pet-Sounds and Music: 8
Graphics: 10
Overall: 10

Buy or Rent?
Ah, the age old question of Buy or Rent... Well, Rent first, and if you like it, BUY IT. That's all for now.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/03