Review by MajinZidane

"A game like watching a movie without having to play Final Fantasy"

Before the actual review, I want everyone reading this to know that this was the first time I played a Metal Gear game before, so this is basically an un-biased opinion. On top of being the first time playing a game in the Metal Gear Solid series, this is one of, if not the first stealth shooter I have ever played

I put Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater in my Play Station 2 for the first time, and the title screen is awesome and unique. You can change colors, backgrounds, speed, everything. It's a nice little mini-game (if it can even be considered that.) It honestly took me 15 minutes to figure out how to start the game. That's only a slight exaggeration, it really did take me some time to figure out how to start the game. I thought I had a defective copy because every time I would highlight new game, it would go back to the title screen. Unlike most games, the "O"(circle) button executes and the "X" button cancels, just like some of the best games of all time (I won't list any specifically, but you know what I'm talking about.) Make sure you know that before starting. It could save you a few minutes of frustration.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater takes place during the Cold War. I consider it to be a third-person shooter. I haven't played a lot of stealth shooter games, but I think this one adds that into gameplay quite nicely. I don't really like a pure stealth shooter game, so there is a balance between stealth and combat in this game.

Playing this game is like watching a movie. It has a nice, well-developed plot (but note that I don't usually complain about video game plots, so if you are a person that needs a great, unique plot, this game may not be that for you.) There are so many cut-scenes in this game. Honestly, some times it feels like too much cut-scenes, and I have skipped a few some times. After you complete a task, there will be a cut-scene. When you want to talk to the major, there is a cut-scene. After a mission, you have a long cut-scene. Even saving the game involves a cut-scene with Snake talking to Para-Medic about something.

Graphics: 10

The graphics for this game are amazing. I have to admit that they are not the best graphics out there, but even the most basic aspect of the game has great graphics. While crouching in a patch of high grass, you can see each individal blade of grass, the grass actually moves as you crawl on it. Some times the game feels too dark to play in, but all in all it deserves an excellent rating.

Controls: 7

This is one of the only things that brings the score down from a 10. They take a while to get used to (and I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, so maybe they are the same as previous titles.) At the beginning of the game, I had to use the action button to climb a tree. I had no idea what the action button was. It didn't take me as long to figure out it was triangle, but I did eventually.

My favorite move to use is the roll. While running, you can tap "X" to roll on the ground and knock enemies down if they are in your course. If you hold "X", then instead of getting up, you will stay on the floor in crawling mode. I find it frustrating when I am taking fire and roll into my enemies, knocking a few down, and then go into a crawl. So I'm on the floor crawling while I'm taking fire. If it only happened once or twice I wouldn't mind, but it happened to me several times.

Close-range combat is fun, but you never know what kind of grab you will do. At some points you'll bomb them onto the floor, and other times you'll choke them. You can proceed while choking them to shoot somebody or slit there throat.

Enemies: (Eh? I don't rate this one.)

The AI of this game is really good. Sure, you'll be able to trick people into not seeing you as they walk by and you are camoflauged, but the enemies recognize things. If somebody is on the floor asleep, they'll go over to see what happened and wake him up. If you make some noise, they'll come to check it out. Even with camoflauge, if they get too close, they'll open fire.

Sound: 9

Even though it's not the best music I've ever heard, it almost always fits the mood of what you are doing. If someone spots you, then chase music will roll. If you are hiding in the grass, then there will be little music to hear.

The chase music really fits the situation, and every time you hear it you will jump a bit in your seat. Things suddenly intensify, and the music compliments the game play very well.

The enemies in this game will sometimes talk. Not just simple text based talking, actual voice over talking (which is what you would come to expect from a title like this.) The voice overs are nothing overly special, but they do get the job done, and in no way seem out of place.

Replayabillity: 7

I don't usually play a game after I beat it, but if you don't start on hard mode, you can always go up and play it after your first run through. And there are some secrets you can find during the game. If you are the kind of person that likes a perfect file after the first playthrough, then there are definitely some things you will miss, assuming you aren't searching through the game anal repetitively and you do not use a guide.

Difficulty: I will just describe this one.

This game is genuinely challenging, I'm not gonna lie. It's true, I'm not very good at Stealth shooters, so maybe it was my inexperience that made it as difficult as it was, but I could definitely feel an essence of challenge throughout. And just to reiterate, this is the first stealth shooter I've ever played (at least I think so), and I'm not the kind of person that can just pick up a game and be good at it.

So, for me, this game was at least somewhat challenging. At least going through the game stealthily was pretty difficult. I felt that Snake could take quite a few shots before dying in the gun fights against generic enemies, and even in boss fights too. The bosses were pretty challenging though, and it wasn't that easy to get passed them.

Overall: 9.1

Yeah, so the numbers might not add up, but that's not how the overall goes. It gives you a feeling of how good the game is compared to other games out right now. I'd say it is a must-own adventure for PS2, which is why it got 9.1, but it doesn't have the replay value of some other games on the market right now. It's still a great game though. Don't be discourage from the “omg its not a 10!!!11!" This is a really good game, and I'd almost recommend it as a substitute to Final Fantasy in terms of plot and storyline, because it is just so in depth and is a really enjoyable experience.

If you have some free time and are looking for a new experience, then you should definitely pick this game up. I'm not gonna say "rent" or "buy" because I think that doesn't give you an accurate representation of the game. It's a fun game that could last you a good amount of hours to play through, and if you're reading this review to find out if the game will be worth it to buy, then I'd definitely say yes. I wasn't disappointed at all with this game, and I think that most people would probably enjoy this game if they gave it a chance.

A++ game would play again.

Some things you should know: I wouldn't say this game is a system seller, though I think very few games are system sellers. In fact, the only game that really comes to mind off the top of my head that is worth buying a system for is Super Smash Brothers Melee, but that's an entirely different story.

If you are already a Play Station 2 owner, and you are looking to add a new game to your collection, this could be it. If you want a Halo-killer for PS2, then I wouldn't suggest this. It's a shooter, sure, but it is an entirely different genre.

I haven't actually played the games, but I'd think this is somewhat similar to Splinter Cell or Rainbow Six. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that this game is one of the better stealth shooters.

~MZ