Review by Zylo the wolf

"Welcome to the Jungle...."

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the third game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but it'¨s actually the fifth game in the main "Metal Gear" series. The first game was actually popular back in the day on the Nes in America and on MSX2 in Japan, but since the big game called: Metal Gear Solid turned the whole series into one of the absolute best, Konami decided that the games they spend the most "hype" on would all be called Metal Gear Solid, not only because it's Solid games. Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel to all the Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear Solid 3 takes place in 1964, and since it's about 30 years before Solid Snake, the main character in the series has his first mission, we get to meet a new character. However he isn't totally new, since if you had any hype of this game when it was going to be released you know that the main character is another important character in the Metal Gear storyline, but since you don't get to know that until the end in the game I won't spoil who it is. Lets just use his codename in this game instead: Naked Snake.

Naked Snake reminds a lot of the Solid Snake we got to know in the two Metal Gear Solid titles. He's kinda like a lone wolf, and will do anything to fullfill his mission. His look and even his voice is almost the same as Solid Snake, and it's the same voice actor for Naked Snake as it usually is for Solid Snake.

As I said before the game takes place in 1964, during the Cold War. A famous weapon scientist, Dr Sokolov, have been kidnapped by the Russian army, and since the Americans dont want the Russian's (I know I should call it the Sovjet Union but I'm to lazy to write it all the time. I hope that everyone who reads this who lives in the former Sovjet Union isn't offended.) to get their hands on Sokolov's secret weapon. So it's up to Naked Snake to sneak into the facility where Sokolov is being held and rescue him.

After finding Sokolov, a group of terrorists shows and tries to also kidnap Sokolov. Things get out of hand but Naked Snake manages to save both his live and get Sokolov out of there. But then the unexpected happens. Naked Snake's mentor "The Boss" shows up and beats Naked Snake up really badly, and tells him the she's going to take Sokolov with her and that she and he elite solders "The Cobras" are working with the terrorists. After another cut scene (which means about 20 minutes when it comes to Metal Gear Solid games) Naked Snake is back in the same jungle to do the same thing again. Find out where Sokolov is being held and also kill the Boss, and also if it's possible do something about the terrorists leader Volgin.

Since this games are a this game is a "Stealth" game, the whole point is to advance further in the jungle, without allowing the enemies to find you. To make sure that the enemy doesn't see you, you have to make sure that you wear the correct camouflage, and also hide at the correct places. If you keep running around everywhere like an idiot, then you surely won't get very far in this game. Knowing which camouflage to use in which terrain and to be as silent as possible in the best way to make sure that you don't have to fight with an armed army of enemies.

There are however a lot of different ways to defend yourself against the enemies. You can for example try to do a close combat with a knife or a fork or with your bare hands, or you can trust your life in a weapon. I have no idea how many different weapons there are to use in this game, but there are a lot of them that you will never use. If you have found a weapon that you really like, then you might as well stick to it, at least until you run out of ammo. My personal favourite is the gun which instead of kills the enemies puts them to sleep. That way it doesn't look as suspicious if another enemy finds one enemy lying down.

One important thing which have been added in this game is the stamina bar. While Naked Snake is doing anything, he's stamina will slowly decrease. The lower it gets, the worse will he perform. For example, it's much harder to aim when the stamina is low. When you run out of stamina, Snake can't move. To make sure that this doesn't happen, you have to hunt for food that Snake can eat and increase his stamina. If you ask me this is one of the most anoying things about the game. While there are a lot of different things that Snake can eat, some of the food is posionous while other things quickly rots. Why couldn't Naked Snake be the same badass as Solid Snake and go on for days with out food, I guess that's because the technology isn't as advanced in this game.

I guess the time has come to tell some of the other flaws in this game, and now I've got some interesting things to say that the fans of this game will flaw me a lot for. At first I would like to complain about the control in this game. Just because you perform a lot of different moves with the same button it doesn't mean it's good if it's really hard to make the move that you actually want to use. Another anoying thing about the control is that you crawl on the X-button and then press the X-button twice if you want to stand up. If you press it only once then Naked Snake will only sit and not being able to move, and if you press the X-Button three times then he will continue to crawl. I died a few times just because of that.

Another and perhaps the worst flaw in the whole game is the story. The game is full of cut-scenes in the beginning and at the end of the game, but it wouldn't hurt if Konami took a little more time to introduce us a little more to the Cobras, since every one of them is a boss fight. In Metal Gear Solid, you got to know a lot of things about the bosses either the first time you saw them or during the rest of the game. Here they just shows up one after another and gets killed. The only one who is any interesting at all is The Boss, but I would spoil to much of the story if I told you why.

There are actually a mini-game in this game where you can play as Solid Snake. In this mini game, you are on different stages and have to capture monkeys. You may have those monkeys before, since it's actually the same monkey as in the game Ape Escape. The mini game is quite simple, all you have to do is to sneak upon the monkey, knock em out and say the password "Got you". While I'm a fan of the original Ape Escape on the playstation, I didn't find this mini game so enjoying and quit playing after a few minutes.

Metal Gear Solid 3 isn't actually a bad game, it's just that it took a way many things that I liked about the previous games in the series, like the radar and the cool codec speeches (they are still there, but it just isn't the same if you don't see the expressions on the character's face.) and added new stuff that I didn't like, like the stamina bar for example. However despite not being as awesome as the previous two games in the series, it's still a enjoyable game. It's not a must to have on your Playstation 2, but if you find it cheap then you might want to pick up a copy. The biggest disappointment of all is that you don't get to know anything about what happens after MGS 2.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/07/07

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (EU, 03/04/05)