Review by Kuja9998

""We are approaching the launch site Get a Move on" Buy MGS3 NOW"

The Metal Gear Solid franchise is famous for it's plot, it's characters, and the fact that at the end of the game everyone gets screwed over by an omnipotent organization. Metal Gear Solid 3 is no different. However, it has a number of improvements including the addition of camoflauge, the Cure menu, and most notably CQC (or Close Quarters Combat). However, this game is not without fault and at times (especially near the begining) it can seem as if the game is just a shadow of it's predesessor's glory.

Let me get the faults of this game out of the way immediately. First off the graphics are slightly worse than they were in MGS2. This is not a big deal and everything still looks rather nice. Additionally, there is a significant change in the tone of the characters. Snake is a rookie now and certainly acts like it making foolish comments and getting overexcited about getting a "high quality gun." The supporting characters are rather over the top as well but they get more managable as the game progresses.

The most notable flaw is the voice acting. The voices definitely do not seem to belong to any of the characters with the exception of Major Tom/Zero. The voices are just not cut out for the characters in this game and it really shows at times. This flaw can be overcome by attempting to immerse yourself into the game and overcome the knowledge that the voices aren't exactly as they should be. It is also to be noted that the voices do seem to get better as the game progresses... whether it be improvement on the VA's part or just an adjustment for the player.

Another flaw is the fact that the begining of the game is completely "goofy." Let me sum it up... James Bond - Austin Powers hybrid "Snake Eater" musical... It is rather annoying and takes you away from the experience... however, it goes away after the first few hours and we return to MGS seriousness.

There are many positive features as well:

We have the new cure system which is highly innovative and interesting. With it you heal every wound that you are inflicted in the battle. The system is rather simple and easy to use. Unfortunately, being able to make your snake look really "bad-ass" is not as easy to do as Kojima made it seem as your physical wounds disappear from your body over-time. The feature immerses you into the gameplay and is definitely a positive attribute but I believe they could have done a little more with it.

The Camoflauge system is highly innovative as well and will be used the most often. There are various different camoflauges that are suited for different areas. They allow you to avoid being spotted by the enemy provided they are not too close to you and don't know where you are. it is a logical extension of the MGS series and it is done quite well.

The CQC is my personal favorite. It is an extremely effective means of disposing of the enemy. Basically, with the use of either your fists or a knive you can do a variety of devestating moves to your enemy. Including a power throw that knocks the enemy out for hours and the ability to use them as a human shield. Neck slitting and snapping are there as well so don't worry.

Lets get to the stats of the game:

The graphics are just about as good as you can make them on the PS2's system.

The voice actors really bring this game down...

Storyline: 10/10

What else would you expect from a MGS game?

Gameplay 10/10

New features make this game even more fun to play.

Replay: 10/10

This game is even more replayable than it's predesessors.

This game is very good. However, the first 2 hours of complete ridiculousness and the fact that the voices are completely out of place pull it down. Don't be discouraged though. Everything else about this game is perfect and after you get past the first few hours it is clear sailing. So in the words of Ocelot:

"We are approaching the launch site... Get a Move ON!" Go out and buy MGS3 right now.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/04