Review by bluehawk102

"Fans of the series will not be disappointed....."

Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater is the third part of the Metal Gear Solid series. It takes place in 1964. You play as Jack aka Naked Snake aka Snake. You do not play as Solid Snake!!! Here's what I thought about the game:

Gameplay

One word...Awesome. There's new things in Metal Gear Solid 3 that I do not think are in any other games. Such as cure and camo. Cure has you heal Snake from various injuries you might sustain during your mission. Camo lets you choose what uniform to pick along with face paint so you can hide from enemies. When your camo bar is at least up to 90% then you are pretty well hidden considering you don't move. Close Quarter Combat(CQC) is another new feature for the series. You can still punch,kick, and snap necks but now you can also interrogate, throw to the ground, slit throat, hold them up. One thing that is not in the game is the Soliton radar. You do have a radar but it is different from the previous games. What else? Oh yeah, lets not forget eating. You have a stamina bar now and when it goes down then you will be weaker and have to feed Snake to raise the bar up again. It does not go down fast so you do not have to press start and eat every few minutes. The codec is not in this game either, instead you have a radio which is pretty much the same except no moving people, just pictures. Overall, I find few flaws with the gameplay. CQC could take some getting used to and you have to be more cautious keeping an eye out for guards. You may find it a hassle to use the Start menu for Cure and Camo but it is not that big of a problem. Also one more thing to note. The cover does say "Online" but that does not apply for multiplayer, it applies for camo downloads on the official site. The game itself is longer than Metal Gear Solid 2 so you will have a lot of fun. As usual the difficulties range from Very Easy to Extreme.
Gameplay:10/10

Sound

Again, no real problems here. You may notice slight skipping during a radio scene or two but that might be part of the game. Voice acting is great too, and Dave Hayter is back voicing Naked Snake this time. The game uses Dolby sound so everything sounds better I guess. I'm not an expert. Some may prefer the Japanese voice acting but you can't lose either way. Both are good. Even the jungle has some nice jungle noises. Lets not forget the awesome music by Harry Gregson-Williams who also did music for MGS2.
Sound:10/10

Story

The best part of the MGS series in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid 2 may have been confusing to you but do not worry this story is simpler. It is a prequel to the previous two but it does connect so play the first two first in my opinion. The game starts off with Snake doing a HALO drop into the jungle. He is sent to rescue the scientist, Sokolov, who was sent back to the USSR in order to end the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is known as Operation Virtuous Mission and is only a small part of such a great game. To avoid spoilers I won't say anymore.
Story:10/10

Controls

I'll make this part brief. The controls fit the game perfectly. Aiming, shooting, crawling, selecting, killing, punching, etc. take some getting used to but there is a menu to help figure things out. They are a tad different than Metal Gear Solid 2 but you will not mind at all.
Controls:10/10

To conclude:

Pros:
-Bosses
-Story
-Sound
-Controls
-Gameplay
-Basically Everything

Cons:
-Basically nothing

Buy or Rent?! For this I have a note: "If you want to start the series, please start with MGS1(either original or Twin Snakes) , then go to Metal Gear Solid 2, and then play this. Meanwhile if you are a fan of the series then you should buy if you have not done so already, although I do not know why unless the stores do not have it...." You could beat this game in a rental but if you want a great PS2 collection then you cannot accomplish that without buying and owning Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater.

**This game was worth the almost two year wait I had to endure. I enjoy every second of it. I think it is better than Metal Gear Solid 2 although I actually like them all equally. So, overall, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater gets a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/04