Review by fedor

"Does Metal Gear Solid Live Up To The Hype? You're Damn Right It Does!"

Ahh, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, my most anticipated game of the year. Star Ocean was great, San Andreas was fun, but the game I wanted more than any other was Metal Gear Solid 3. I had incredibly high expectations for this third installment in this legendary series, and I was not disappointed at all. In fact, Metal Gear Solid 3 is easily the best game to be released in 2004.

The graphics in this title are perhaps the best ever on the Playstation 2. Every single person, animal, object, weapon, or environment is done absolutely perfectly. There isn't a single choppy frame within the game and everything runs completely smoothly. The cut-scenes are where the in-game graphics really shine. The sheer "cool" look of the movements of the characters in each action sequence that play out on front of your eyes will make you say "wow" pretty much every 5 minutes. You'll never find a more beautiful game for the Playstation 2 than Snake Eater.

The storyline is the true brunt of this game. Just like its past two predecessors, Metal Gear Solid 3's story is simply incredible. It takes place within a jungle in Russia during the times of the Cold War which was fought between the United States and the Soviet Union. Snake's mission is to infiltrate the Soviet jungle and to take possession of a nuclear scientist so that the Russians cannot create a devastating weapon to use against America in the ongoing war. The storyline plays perfectly throughout the very lengthy and well done cut-scenes. The cut-scenes are so well done in fact, that I'd rather watch the Snake Eater cut-scenes than watch a Hollywood action movie starring Jet Li and Vin Diesal. There are many moments that will have you crying, screaming, and cheering. What more could you ask for?

Gameplay and controls are top notch as always. You get to do all the stuff from the past Metal Gear Solid games with a few nifty revisions and some added extras. Among these revisions is the form of "Survival System" which is in the game. Basically, unlike the other MGS titles, Snake must eat to survive in the wild. Some different animals will completely replenish Snake's health, and on the contrary, certain foods will deteriorate or damage Snake's lifespan. There is also the possibility of camouflage in the game. In order to get past some pesky Russian forces, you'll have to don special suits which will make you invisible to your enemies. The controls is like the gameplay in that it uses the same system with a few new revisions. The shooting system, running system, dragging system, and killing system is pretty much the same, however, you have a plethora of new options to choose from when it comes to the hand-to-hand combat engine. I'll let you see for yourself what new nifty martial arts moves you can perform on the bad guys.

As for replay, the story is so in-depth, you may want to play through it a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd time to fully understand the scope of the story presented before you. For the average-good gamer it should take you about 30 hours to pass.(30 glorious hours!)

In closing, I have come to the conclusion that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the greatest games I have ever played. It has pretty much everything any fan of any video game genre could want. If you're a somewhat intelligent person who loves a great storyline as well as tremendous graphics and gameplay, than you should buy this game immediately. If you're an illiterate person who has no clue how to comprehend a storyline and only wishes to play random shooter titles, than don't buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/04