Review by rageshadow

"Eat Snakes Indeed"

Finally we have laid our hands on Metal Gear Solid 3. The adrenaline rushes in you are filling your veins and you are eagerly waiting to start on the game. However, before that, let me give you a rough idea on what the game is about and how it is like.

The most important factor. Metal Gear Solid 3 has now added quite a few new features. Let me introduce them to you. First would be the camouflage feature. Many of you might not find it new if you had already played Metal Gear series before. However, in Metal Gear Solid 3, you will be needing your camouflage features more than anything else. In the jungle, you will need it to hide from large amount of enemies, sneak through them, snipe them down or lure them. The mission is almost failed without the camouflage. Also,when camouflaged, on the top right hand corner writes how many percent you are camouflaged with the surroundings. If you are 100%, then you are basically invisible but if you are -30% you are as good as wearing black in the day.

Next up, will be the stamina feature. In MGS3, if your stamina bar runs low, you hands start to get shaky meaning that you cannot shoot properly and many other negative effects start to take place. Sometimes it could even result in a failure of your mission. With that said, you must be wondering how could I fill my stamina bar once it runs low? Well you basically have to eat! Of course, there will not be any MacDonald's in the jungle, so you have to survive on Reticulated Phytons, Japanese Squirrels and even Crocodiles. You can use your knife to stab them or any other weapon. Also, a heavy backpack will cause your stamina bar to run low fast.

Next is the Cure feature. You will first be introduced to the cure feature when you are first thrown down the bridge. For example, you have a wound that has a big cut, bleeding. You will then access your cure menu, and then have them healed either using medical or surgery. If the wound is bleeding, then you have to use a bandage to stop the bleeding. If there are leeches, then you will have to light up a cigar etc. Each item has it's own uses.

Another feature would be the CQC which means Close Quarter Combat. It is like in MGS2, where you sneak up behind the guard and either choke him, interrogate him or knock him unconscious and destroy his radio to stop reinforcements. It isn't anything new but the term used might make it sound like it is new.

Now for the non-new features. You still have to use your invaluable radio for tips and you will have to sneak most of the time.

Again, I am very fussy about graphics but this game's graphics are indeed pushing the PS2 to the limits. The surroundings are nice and very well detailed. They do not look crystal clear(which won't make the game a jungle type) and the characters are very very well detailed. In the occasional scences, you could see the brilliance of the graphics.

Audio: 9/10
First of all, we are in the jungle. What do you expect to hear besides the chirping of birds and some funny sounds by other insects and animals? However, fear not. During the cutscences you will be able to hear some of the best musics and sounds. You can hear the pain when someone is punched, the opening of a small box, the tense music etc.

Great story. The story starts out when you are suppose to rescue Sokolov, a renowned scientist who is suppose to research a nuclear weapon. But the story wouldn't be as easy as it seems. Things take a twist when Sokolov is taken away and a close friend betrays you. Want to find out more? Go get the game.

Replay Value: 10/10
The game's replay value is just soo high. Just by looking at what GameFAQs has to provide in the Cheat Codes & Secrets section could take up a day or 2. Plus, there are many more camouflage uniforms to collect and even Internet features!

This game has got great graphics, intense story, brilliant audio and mind-blowing gameplay. However, this game might prove to much even if playing in Very Easy mode if you have not really tried or witness what Metal Gear Solid series are like. If you like Metal Gear Solid games, this is the best so far.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/04